PDA

View Full Version : Why are people slobs? Are you one?

compunoob
Mar 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
As the topic states, why? My wife and I are clean without going over to the compulsive side. After we eat we clean our dishes when we are done, or put them into the dishwasher. Every weekend we go through and clean the house ie vacum/mop/dust etc. My son (22) is quite the opposite. He is a a slob. He never makes his bed. He never puts away his laundry (it just stays in piles on the floor and or all over his bed). Beer bottles just sitting around, dishes he ate off of sitting around. Is it there way of having control over something in there life? Is it just that they dont want to be like there parents? Why is it people just dont want to be clean sometimes? If any of you have trouble with being clean or tidy plz chime in cuz I would like to know what you think creates this.

Cloud
Mar 8, 2007, 08:58 AM
Well, I used to be much better, but I am somewhat of a slob now. Drinks and plates lay around in the room for up to a day or two...

I really just don't have the time to care about cleanliness unless I'm working--because I have nothing else to do there.

But that's a good idea. I'll clean my room now since I have time. :)

Stingray
Mar 8, 2007, 09:03 AM
I´m clean and neat touching the obsessive borderline. It´s a pain cause you can´t relax if things don´t feel clean or symmetric.

:bleh:

Bamboozled
Mar 8, 2007, 09:11 AM
House is clean.

Garage?

Disaster

compunoob
Mar 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
Iīm clean and neat touching the obsessive borderline. Itīs a pain cause you canīt relax if things donīt feel clean or symmetric.

My point exactly. I cant feel "relaxed" if there is mess. If everything around u is a mess and chaotic how cant your life be the same way?

ScottDoom
Mar 8, 2007, 09:20 AM
I've also never understood slobs. As a home is your own personal environment, you would be led to believe that all people would want a clean, neat environment...

I let my room get out of hand when a new game comes out, or if I've just been really busy with school but for the most part I keep my room very clean. Our entire house is usually kept pretty clean too. I also can't stand my car to be dirty, and at the first chance I get I wash it.

I went to a kid's house this one time to hang out and play video games. I had never been before, and when I came in it was extremely dark. I don't recall there even being any windows, but I'm sure they were just closed with blinds. He lived with two brothers and his mom, and I think his dad was just away at the time. Anyways, the place was a friggin' mess. There was a coffee table next to the couch with an open computer sitting on it, and another computer right next to it. There were dirty dishes all over, and a trash can that was piling over with paper plates and food. The apartment had flies in it, buzzing around in my face. Flies! When I said there were dirty dishes everywhere, I mean everywhere. Then a Playstation 2 and Xbox on the ground in front of the TV with the games layed out everywhere.

I never went back there. :lol: I don't see how people can live in that sort of environment. To be honest, I look at the pictures people post of their homes here and I wonder how they can live with it furnished and kept that way. :bleh:

VVanks
Mar 8, 2007, 09:23 AM
I'm a slob. Yes. I let the stuff pile up, but usually I spend several hours once a week cleaning up.

I just can't keep it clean, when you come to my room at the end of a cleaning cycle, it's a complete mess. But once it starts again it's completely clean. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Jankan
Mar 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
I live in a house of 6 people. 3 South Africans, one from Iceland and 2 English. The 2 english people are a couple. The 4 of us are neat and tidy but the 2 damn English people are slobs. We get so damn annoyed with them because they will make food and splatter the sauce all over the stove and they will just leave it. They will normally clean the dishes but they never pack it away, our dish rack is always full and i ****ing hate it. Why be so lazy? if i cook, i will clean the stove, clean the counters wash the dishes and pack them away. They will sometimes use dishes and put it in the wash basin and conveniently forget about it and it will just stand there for a few days until someone else washes it.

Our dishes will disappear throughout the week and on a weekend they will come downstairs with arms full of dishes. How can you leave dirty dishes in your room for a week? Its disgusting. They have taken over the living area. They will wash their clothes and hang it up to dry and just leave it there. It is so bad, none of the rest of us even goes in there anymore. We stay constantly in our rooms. We have a roster that every person cleans the whole house every 6 weeks. Its a big house. It normally takes me a few hours to clean. They do it in half an hour. I can go on and on. We have had so many fights about it. I actually have given up, i am tired of fighting. What can one do?

compunoob
Mar 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
I live in a house of 6 people. 3 South Africans, one from Iceland and 2 English. The 2 english people are a couple. The 4 of us are neat and tidy but the 2 damn English people are slobs. We get so damn annoyed with them because they will make food and splatter the sauce all over the stove and they will just leave it. They will normally clean the dishes but they never pack it away, our dish rack is always full and i ****ing hate it. Why be so lazy? if i cook, i will clean the stove, clean the counters wash the dishes and pack them away. They will sometimes use dishes and put it in the wash basin and conveniently forget about it and it will just stand there for a few days until someone else washes it.

Our dishes will disappear throughout the week and on a weekend they will come downstairs with arms full of dishes. How can you leave dirty dishes in your room for a week? Its disgusting. They have taken over the living area. They will wash their clothes and hang it up to dry and just leave it there. It is so bad, none of the rest of us even goes in there anymore. We stay constantly in our rooms. We have a roster that every person cleans the whole house every 6 weeks. Its a big house. It normally takes me a few hours to clean. They do it in half an hour. I can go on and on. We have had so many fights about it. I actually have given up, i am tired of fighting. What can one do?

Move? That would suck. I had a slob roomamate 1 time. We made a pact to keep the apt. clean and his room could look as bad as he wanted. Worked well for us.

Jankan
Mar 8, 2007, 09:40 AM
Move? That would suck. I had a slob roomamate 1 time. We made a pact to keep the apt. clean and his room could look as bad as he wanted. Worked well for us.

Don't really want to move. Its a nice house and believe me, in London what i am paying and what i am getting is great. Also a very nice neighborhood. I think the problem is because they are a couple. If it was just the one of them we could probably sort it out. Funny thing is, the girl is 100 times worse then the Guy is. I know guys can be slobs but one thing i know, i would not want a girlfriend that is a slob.

Fat_Daddy_Cool
Mar 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hmmm. My house is pretty clean.

My person is very slobby, I go weeks without shaving, stains down the front of me from food.

I find that keeping the house clean is more important because of my daughter. I make sure there is nothing that she can grab and shove in her mouth. It is done more for safety.

riho
Mar 8, 2007, 10:39 AM
Just got done cleaning the bathroom and bedroom. **** I hate cleaning :cry:

hazindu
Mar 8, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm a very clean person, but I'm far from neat. At work I have literally hundreds of sticky pad notes all over my tables and desk, and at home I have all kinds of junk lying on the floor. One thing you won't find however is sticky or greasy surfaces, or food and drink containers lying around.

Jackl
Mar 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm not going to go on about a sob story. But I lived in severe poverty for the first years of my childhood. I know what dirty is, and I never want to experience it again. But on the same coin some people are way obsessive on order and cleanliness. I LOVE having a clean bathroom, clean dishes, having a warm clean floor I don't have to worry about stepping on nasty ****. Or worry about infestations of bugs. Having fresh clothes so they don't feel like they're sticking to my skin, and glorious fresh food.

But I'm not gonna lie, my fan has dust in it, I have 3 coke cans and and a couple crumpled tissues on my desk since I have the leftover dregs of a cold. My bed isn't made(hasn't been in 10 years, so sue me), and I have two days worth of clothes on the floor. If you find that appalling, well. I figure you've lived in a clean environment your entire life. Gratz to you.

But I get what you mean, I know some people who live like trash BY CHOICE. Good God only knows why. Depressions, drugs, or plain insanity I figure. Even people with ZERO cash can pick up their house and put things in order.

Even if its work cleaning just makes you feel better about yourself.

ice
Mar 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
I don't make my bed because I find it pointless. I'm the only one who sees it because I'm single and it just gets messed up anyway. I make it at night a few hours before I go to bed but that's it. Other than that I don't leave dirty **** lying around or anything else.

Jankan
Mar 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
I don't make my bed because I find it pointless. I'm the only one who sees it because I'm single and it just gets messed up anyway. I make it at night a few hours before I go to bed but that's it. Other than that I don't leave dirty **** lying around or anything else.

I hate not making my bed. I love getting home at night after a long days work and walk into a clean room. I hate walking into my room and my beds not made, it just spoil my evening.

JDwoods[TeamATi]
Mar 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
I have a full time job, two kids, a wife, hobbies, and a really freaking small house. It's tough keeping everything cleaned up because the house is so damn small and there's just not enough room to do everything in. We keep it livable and do our best, but honestly... I'd never call us slobs. Just too busy to clean constantly.

ice
Mar 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
I hate not making my bed. I love getting home at night after a long days work and walk into a clean room. I hate walking into my room and my beds not made, it just spoil my evening.

Eh, I spend all my time in here so when I finally make it to my room I just collapse and don't really care what the bed looks like. Problem is even though I'm tired when I walk in, it's like I lay down and become wide awake again. Bastard sleeping problems.

Seek & Destroy
Mar 8, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm a total pig. Sometimes when I'm eating and can't find a napkin or paper towel I'll grab some underwear off the floor and use that.

ShaidarHaran
Mar 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
Slobs are disgusting. I had to break up with my g/f last week because of her uncleanliness.

SpongeBebop
Mar 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
I find the existence of choosy slobs most mystifying. Smokers are notorious for being choosy slobs. Their house may be immaculate, to the point where they don't even smoke anywhere near their house, but once they're out in public, they have no qualms about throwing their butts out anywhere they please.

People who throw garbage from their moving vehicle are also guilty of this. They don't want wrappers or any other garbage even touching any part of their car, so they somehow convince themselves that the only logical recourse is to toss it out the window for the rest of the world to deal with. :nuts:

AlienZombie
Mar 8, 2007, 03:44 PM
Iīm clean and neat touching the obsessive borderline. Itīs a pain cause you canīt relax if things donīt feel clean or symmetric.

exactly. I'm the cleaner one between my wife and I, but she's not that bad.

Stingray
Mar 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
My wiener tilts to the left when erect and that drives me nuts!

RedQueen
Mar 8, 2007, 04:44 PM
my room is always a mess because of my work.. I have so much stuff in my room..and not enough space to put thinkgs away... well I'm not scattered messy more like pile messy.. I keep my mess in piles.. ha yep.. I have like three different piles of books/magazines around my bed.. which I look through often for work reference.. for clothes I usually have like one pair of pants and shirts on my chair back. I have huge 4x2 sheets of carboard and other materials propped up against my wall... I say that books/magazines make up 80% of the mess found on tables and on the floors and 80% of my shelf space is already taken up by other books and magazines and comics.

I need to build myself a library :)

Osirus
Mar 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
So it is an organized mess you have :)

i just finished cleaning up the laundry room actually.
my room is semi clean.. Cause i got a huge pile of laundry at the end of my bed i need to do.(pretty much all my clothes.. lol)
now that the laundry room is clean i can do it..

Im odd, i dont make my bed when i wake up, but i will make it right before i go to bed.. Nicer to sleep in a freshly made bed lol.
but when i wake up im like.. meh no one will see it but me so who cares..
unless companies coming over, then i'll make it.

Leprechaun
Mar 8, 2007, 05:17 PM
compunoob since you and your wife are always clean and he's not I'm thinking maybe all through his life you two did his cleaning, etc??? If so he might be used to having his parents do all the cleaning for him

Cowzrul
Mar 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
Slobs are disgusting. I had to break up with my g/f last week because of her uncleanliness.

did she ah.. not wash down under adequately? That would be a bit of a turn off, but if you mean messy, I think that is a bit of an overreaction. But then, I am a messy person, so I might be biased. I'd post a pic of my desk, but I'm too lazy. I'll just say that I have piles of stuff everywhere, and dirty clothes piles. Food plates and such I never leave out, but sometimes an empty cup of water might get left for a day or so. I vaccuum maybe once a year, and never dust though... because I really don't see the point.

Hordsak
Mar 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
My point exactly. I cant feel "relaxed" if there is mess. If everything around u is a mess and chaotic how cant your life be the same way?

Wow. That explains alot about how I feel. I live with my brother, and he is a complete and utter slob. I'm clean. I always end up doing all the dishes, cleaning everything. Bathroom, dishes, vacuuming, EVERYTHING. And like you guys said, I can't get in a relaxed state unless this is done and clean. His computer monitor as spit chunks all over it, his walls have food splatter on them. Argh.. I get pissed just thinking about it. I don't know what it is about him, but he's sick. He go hammered the other weekend, and puked in the front room, and let the smell of it fester for 2 days before cleaning it.

jbarby
Mar 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm a little messy and I would consider my parents both cleaning cumpulsive.

Part of it is that I live alone and I will clean th eplace if someone is coming over out of respect as I would want to be in someone elses dirty ass house. Since I ususally don have visitors my house is a bit messy and here are the reasons.

1. I own too much crap. Though i have been throwing away a lot. I am also going to move so i'll probably give away/throw away 1/2 the ****.

2. I dont see a point in making a bed as you ruin it ever 14 hours or so doesn't affect me in any way other than what it looks like. Hell i'd be happy to sleep in a sleeping bag or hammock its Just a place to sleep people.

3. The toilet gawd I hate that damn thing and i clean it ocassionally. It is a major pain in the ass to keep clean I hate playing chase the hair around the porcelin with a cleaning cloth to keep it perfect. I have black hair everywhere chest legs arms etc. Though I do clean it for company because no one wants to sit on someone elses dirty toilet.

4. The kitchen I try to clean the dishes as soon as i'm finished though when i'm at my pc involved with something it will be set aside. Then makes it to the sink usually with something welded on. At that time i'm tired and goto sleep. Then its a matter of procrastination.

5. Sometimes I do not have time to fold laundry and develop a clean pile and dirty pile.

All of these circumstances change if i have a roommate or visitors I would like to keep the house clean as a matter of respect for the other person and get pissed when someone disrespects me by leavin the filth everywhere.

ThirdEye
Mar 8, 2007, 09:20 PM
I’m a disorganized person so my room is always a mess. Looking at my book case right now and it’s a complete mess: cd’s, books, dvd’s, papers, scissors, aspirin, wd40, duct tape, pens, etc. All piled up on top of each other and that’s how I like it really. I can find a specific thing in no time because I just know where everything is. Call me a slob, but I would be lost if everything was neatly organized.

Stingray
Mar 8, 2007, 09:23 PM
I can find a specific thing in no time because I just know where everything is.

Ha-ha! So you ARE organized! You live in an organized chaos!

ThirdEye
Mar 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ha-ha! So you ARE organized! You live in an organized chaos!

Exactly. When typing up the reply, the words chaos and chaotic came to mind, now I know why. :D

phial
Mar 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
if you seen my place, you would think someone with mental illness lived here. but its only because i live alone, and i have no reason to impress myself. i know where my **** is buried if i want it, and i have more interesting things to do ... now if i live with someone else, or if im in a public area , im anal about it, because i sort of get repulsed by having other peoples greasy fingers on the keyboards at work for example... my own keyboard, fine, again its just mine, but if its one i know im going to be sharing, ill make sure i wash my hands first because i would expect the same in return

soylent
Mar 8, 2007, 10:29 PM
He never makes his bed.

Making your bed is a non-beneficial cosmetic thing. It's a waste of time that could be spent doing something useful like sleeping, working or having a little more spare time.

He never puts away his laundry (it just stays in piles on the floor and or all over his bed). Beer bottles just sitting around, dishes he ate off of sitting around.

Apart from dirty dishes, which are a pain in the arse to clean if you let them dry, this is more effective. It's just deferring work into a future batch of work that incurs less overhead(e.g. one trip to the bathroom or wherever the laundry machine/hamper, one trip to the recycling station with all those beer bottles).

Is it there way of having control over something in there life? Is it just that they dont want to be like there parents?

Is it causing any problems other than mutual annoyance?

Why is it people just dont want to be clean sometimes?

Esthetical slobbiness(E.g. not showering daily. Which is purely esthetical because showering too much is not helpful and actually disease causing.) which is very much subject to questioning or objectively unhealthy slobbiness(e.g. not brushing your teeth or not washing your hands before touching your eyes, mouth, food etc. after being out in the public in close proximity to a bunch of random people.)?

phial
Mar 8, 2007, 11:53 PM
Making your bed is a non-beneficial cosmetic thing. It's a waste of time that could be spent doing something useful like sleeping, working or having a little more spare time.

Exactly! thats where the reasoning behind my last post comes from :)

its good to see another logical human once in a while.

edit: Hey Kagtoof, I see you lurking :P. are you a neat freak? for some reason I can picture you being one...

ThirdEye
Mar 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
What's this rep you gave me phial :lol: Right back at you >:/

DorXtar
Mar 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
Exactly! thats where the reasoning behind my last post comes from :)

its good to see another logical human once in a while.

edit: Hey Kagtoof, I see you lurking :P. are you a neat freak? for some reason I can picture you being one...

Actually, I've found that making sure the sheets and coverings are fully extended allows them to aerate themselves. When there are folds in the sheets and blankets, the folds trap smell, moisture, etc. So, if you really want to bring efficacy into the argument, shaking the sheets on your bed and your pillow after you wake up and extending them over your bed to minimize folds is most efficient.

On the plus side, you don't have to make your bed in the traditional sense. You can stop at extending your sheets and shaking your pillow woo woo. This extends the life of your sheets and blankets, saves washing water, detergent, the environment, etc.

So extending the sheets, shaking them, and the pillow is a happy compromise between not making your bed, and making an immaculate traditional bed.

:)

Hordsak
Mar 9, 2007, 01:51 AM
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/peterz/photos/gschool/dirty_room.JPG

http://www.cravendc.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C1EF9E56-FFF1-407D-8F30-7E98B29B7D56/0/dirtyroom.jpg

http://www.atomicpanda.com/post/frontdirty3.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/media/life/H/how_clean_is_your_house/filthy-photos/marc-bangs/bedroom_dirty.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/2/3857842_5b7f3177e9_o.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_66/1150326597L0a589.jpg

http://www.salavaux.ch/~blog/media/1/20060126-messyroom.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com.cn/i/techupdate/tech_zone_pic/dirty_computer/dirty_computer01.jpg

http://www.digitaeye.com/images/dirty-computer.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/3318/bromo_bronson02.jpg

MeltingCactus
Mar 9, 2007, 06:00 AM
I'm a clutter-fiend. :( I love it when everything is clean, but I so rarely have the energy to tackle the chaos. The house suffers from some serious cleanliness-entropy. I'll usually clean in bursts, frequently when I'm upset about something or just fed up with the mess. I live with three guys who are all just as guilty at mess-making so it's difficult to really make an impact. If I want the house clean, I either have to do it all myself (just start cleaning and hope that guilt will prompt the others to pitch in) or end up being "mom" and nagging everyone to do their part.

You can generally tell what kind of a week/month I've had based on the level of mess in my room: the messier, the more likely it is that I've been tired/busy. A freshly cleaned room indicates either extreme agitation or a recent vacation/impending visit from family.

Hybelkanin
Mar 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
Making your bed is a non-beneficial cosmetic thing. It's a waste of time that could be spent doing something useful like sleeping, working or having a little more spare time.Are cosmetic things not beneficial?

riho
Mar 9, 2007, 06:40 AM
Are cosmetic things not beneficial?

Do dogs has no noses?

OzzieBloke
Mar 9, 2007, 06:45 AM
What gets me is that it's so easy to wipe down a plate immediately after eating, rinse it, dry it, and put it away. That's less than 3 minutes "work", and then it's done. I hated it when room-mates or friends would ***** about the piles of plates they had to wash, and my response was, and is, always the same: Why didn't you just clean it as soon as you used it?

Making a bed is mostly cosmetic, but it looks a heck of a lot neater. Not to mention you sometimes throw things *on* your bed that you don't necessarily want *in* your bed, so it pays to make it. Plus there is a small pleasure in slipping into a bed with straight, smooth sheets and blankets, as opposed to one that is all rumpled.

I can't stand crap being thrown on the floor if it doesn't belong there. Clothes, food wrappers, drink containers... blech.

soylent
Mar 9, 2007, 06:45 AM
Are cosmetic things not beneficial?

Making your bed is as arbitrary as removing your keyboard, tying up the cord and putting it into a receptacle on the wall while you aren't using your computer. It makes no sense to regard someone as a slob for not doing it, it's just an arbitrary fashion.

Plus there is a small pleasure in slipping into a bed with straight, smooth sheets and blankets, as opposed to one that is all rumpled.

There's a small pleasure just slipping into bed with your clothes on when you're tired and going to sleep; instead of spending a minute unmaking your bed, removing all your clothes and getting the sheets all nice and crumply so it doesn't feel like your sleeping on a concrete slab.

Feelings aren't nescessarily transferable.

ErrorS
Mar 9, 2007, 09:25 AM
I can guarantee I'm the biggest slob on these forums.. I dunno what's the matter with me.

I have a dead bird somewhere in my house that my cat brought it, I'm pretty sure I wont look for it. I'll wait until I can locate it by smell and then throw it away.

To make matters worse I've picked up a really bad habit these past couple of months.. I now eat in bed

:D

Hybelkanin
Mar 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
Making your bed is as arbitrary as removing your keyboard, tying up the cord and putting it into a receptacle on the wall while you aren't using your computer. It makes no sense to regard someone as a slob for not doing it, it's just an arbitrary fashion.So I could have all sorts of junk lying around everywhere as long as the environment is not directly harmful or is obstructing my activities, and still avoid the "slob"-label? I don't see how making your bed is any different than for example shaving or mowing the lawn. I think I won't paint my house for another thirty years either - it's a drag. That said, I don't think not making your bed, by itself, quialifies for "slob". But it's borderline. :lol:

As for my keyboard, it has it's place on a retractable shelf under my desk - invisible when not in use.

yoz
Mar 9, 2007, 10:05 AM
Making your bed is as arbitrary as removing your keyboard, tying up the cord and putting it into a receptacle on the wall while you aren't using your computer. It makes no sense to regard someone as a slob for not doing it, it's just an arbitrary fashion.

Only that a keyboard in front of a monitor on a table doesn't look sloppy like a bunch of tangled sheets on a messy bed. My case is not lying on the floor below, my monitor is not sideways on the desk, my mouse is and keyboard are not hanging from the table. So i keep my bed in order too.

RedQueen
Mar 9, 2007, 11:12 AM
So it is an organized mess you have :)

i just finished cleaning up the laundry room actually.
my room is semi clean.. Cause i got a huge pile of laundry at the end of my bed i need to do.(pretty much all my clothes.. lol)
now that the laundry room is clean i can do it..

Im odd, i dont make my bed when i wake up, but i will make it right before i go to bed.. Nicer to sleep in a freshly made bed lol.
but when i wake up im like.. meh no one will see it but me so who cares..
unless companies coming over, then i'll make it.

ha Exactly :lol::bleh:.

About the bed thing.. I am the exact same way.. well thats because I get my.. um.. reception from my bed.. which means I'm always sitting in it.. and so is my sis so.. won't make my bed.. or else I'd be sitting on my sheets and comforter for like hours and that would flatten it. So my bed is my desk during the day and at nightI'll move everything off and shake the sheets and make my bed before I sleep.

ShaidarHaran
Mar 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
did she ah.. not wash down under adequately? That would be a bit of a turn off, but if you mean messy, I think that is a bit of an overreaction. But then, I am a messy person, so I might be biased. I'd post a pic of my desk, but I'm too lazy. I'll just say that I have piles of stuff everywhere, and dirty clothes piles. Food plates and such I never leave out, but sometimes an empty cup of water might get left for a day or so. I vaccuum maybe once a year, and never dust though... because I really don't see the point.

Both. The straw that broke the camel's back was She had her period and her underwear was her pad. We were about to get in the shower for some fun and when I saw that I just about hurled.

Stingray
Mar 9, 2007, 01:09 PM

Chuck
Mar 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
Both. The straw that broke the camel's back was She had her period and her underwear was her pad. We were about to get in the shower for some fun and when I saw that I just about hurled.

Yeah, major turn-off me too. Why can't chicks learn to wear pads? *puke*

About being a slob, consider me one too. Useless receipts lying around, empty water bottles garbage candy wraps all over my desk, dusk everywhere, supposed clean clothes unfolded, wrinkled and lying on a dump of a sea of clothes... ya you know I mean. :lol:

Dave
Mar 9, 2007, 07:19 PM
for the most part i am fairly tidy. I put plates/glasses in the dish washer after i am done using them. hang clothes up immediately after they are done being washed. but i will leave stuff out that i have used. like say i watch a dvd on my computer. the dvd case will more than likely sit out for a week before i put it away.

only time i really clean the house is when i am having friends/family over. see no reason to have the house being immaculately clean all the time. i do like to live a little, and if living requires things to get a little dirty now and then, so be it.

soylent
Mar 9, 2007, 09:28 PM
So I could have all sorts of junk lying around everywhere as long as the environment is not directly harmful or is obstructing my activities, and still avoid the "slob"-label?

Well I won't call you a slob for it. I'll call you a slob if you're consistently being too lazy to do something useful or required of you. E.g. letting dirty dishes stand around and dry so it will take you 10 times the amount of time to clean them, not working while at work, not studying while in college etc.

Adanu
Mar 10, 2007, 01:05 AM
I'm a slob with a room of only slightly organized chaos. I don't make my bed, ever, my clothes are on the floor all the time, and I leave my dishes on the desk until I decide to clean them in a load a few days later. I clean the walls once every blue moon, and don't give a **** if anyone doesn't like the way the place looks.

Neat freaks make me roll my eyes. There is no point in constantly cleaning everything as it will only get dirty over time, and when it reaches critical mass you wipe it down, there you go. Oh, and making the assumption that a person can't be neat and organized if their house isn't is not only bad, but ignorant.

Osirus
Mar 10, 2007, 01:20 AM
Man, when i used to work for a plumbing company, (I did the hard work..:bleh: they they came in and connected the pipes. lol)
Some peoples homes....Wow.......

Like seriously.. theres a lil path through a room like 2 feet wide where you can see the floor.. I guess they made it before we came to be nice.. the rest of the house is just a huge pile of junk and garbage everywhere... disgusting.

one hosue in niagara on the lake.. Lol I was told.. hey were going to the deliverance house today.. great.. lol

Well they needed the pipe heading to there septic tank replaced. so i was outside digging away.. the hosue was pretty creepy looking. kidna rough shape... old rusty cars outside. Big as dog tied up with a huge chain, grass worn all away in a perfect cirlce around the doghouse from the chain being dragged around.
people going in and out of the house every few minutes.. lots of different people.. all that look like they came from one of them creepy moveis. lol
like there was the 400lb woman.. then the dude in leather with a huge mohawk, then the greasy looking guy with no teeth ect..
well later in the day i got to go in the hosue.. ahh!! man i walk in and cant see the floor, theres boxes of crap everywhere!!
junk just piled all over the place..

My dad who was a plumber for the same company told me a few times there was houses where he told the people he wasnt going in, after he saw that there was 1/2 of garbage on the floor.. and saw needles ect, which i wouldnt go in there either..

Stingray
Mar 10, 2007, 09:36 AM
My girl wears a pad. :bleh:

gorage28
Oct 16, 2007, 05:13 AM
The problem is that people with neat houses and ways of life don't affect the way dirty people live, but that isn't the case the other way around, disgusting slobs have a negative effect on normal people. There is nothing worse then someone who is normal (ie relatively tidy) being invited over and being confronted with disgusting mess that they are expected to simply accept. People who are slobs have no self respect and are low on self esteem or else they would care how they present themselves.

Stingray
Oct 16, 2007, 05:24 AM
Nice thread revival.

badboy
Oct 16, 2007, 05:45 AM
yeap I let stuff pile up
Im lazy :p
I do the dishes when I feel like it or when a girl is comming over
after a party I let everything just stand there for days :lol:

I live alone so I dont care.. I do stuff when I feel like doing them or when its needed.

nothing wrong with that.. doesnt hurt anyone

badboy
Oct 16, 2007, 05:47 AM
The problem is that people with neat houses and ways of life don't affect the way dirty people live, but that isn't the case the other way around, disgusting slobs have a negative effect on normal people. There is nothing worse then someone who is normal (ie relatively tidy) being invited over and being confronted with disgusting mess that they are expected to simply accept. People who are slobs have no self respect and are low on self esteem or else they would care how they present themselves.

if my guy friends are comming over then I dont care about cleaning.. beacuse yeah we are guys :bleh:
When girls are comming over then the house sparkles :p

Doozer
Oct 16, 2007, 05:50 AM
To make matters worse I've picked up a really bad habit these past couple of months.. I now eat in bed

:D

So do I, but I kick her out of bed when I am done :bleh:

Aneska
Oct 16, 2007, 06:54 AM
My dresser isn't big enough for all my clothes so i have some hanging in the closet and some in front of my bed. Other than that i'm fairly organized. Dishes never stay in my room longer than an hour.

OzzieBloke
Oct 16, 2007, 08:33 AM
I can't stand slobs, or slobbish environments. It's one thing to be somewhat slightly disorganised, for instance when you are in the middle of organising a stack of reports/papers that you need for a current project and they are a scattered hither and thither, but I cannot stand old plates, empty containers, and grot in general just floating around.

I too once visited people who lived in squalor, and it resulted in me having to leave the house after a mere 15 minutes. I couldn't stand it. Clothes piled 6 inches thick all over the living and dining room floor. Dirty plates and cutlery strewn all over the floor. Windows half blocked with crap. A layer of dust on everything that wasn't recently discarded.

Feh.

Drunken Janitor
Oct 16, 2007, 09:59 AM
I've also never understood slobs. As a home is your own personal environment, you would be led to believe that all people would want a clean, neat environment...

Some people thrive on a certain amount of clutter. It doesn't feel right if it isn't cluttered.

aop
Oct 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
Some people thrive on a certain amount of clutter. It doesn't feel right if it isn't cluttered.
QFT

soylent
Oct 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
The problem is that people with neat houses and ways of life don't affect the way dirty people live, but that isn't the case the other way around, disgusting slobs have a negative effect on normal people.

Why blame me for your OCD?

People who are slobs have no self respect and are low on self esteem or else they would care how they present themselves.

If your self-esteem is conferred from silly rituals like making your bed or organizing your room neatly I definetly think you're the one with the self-esteem issues.

Doozer
Oct 16, 2007, 10:49 AM
To win being a slob, you just need to have a cleaner :p

Cyko
Oct 16, 2007, 12:12 PM
Problem is even though I'm tired when I walk in, it's like I lay down and become wide awake again. Bastard sleeping problems.

:lol: I have that exact same problem. Even tried those sleeping pills (all kinds, natural, diphenhydramine, etc) and none of them work, didn't even make me yawn. Some days it happens, some days not. My routine is pretty much the same, so I have no idea what's going on. Got medically checked out and I'm fine (bloodwork, etc).

OT, yes, I am a bit of a slob. At work everything has to be PERFECT, so when I get home I tend to slack a little. I don't make the bed (just going to get messed up again), and my "hamper" is a pile of clothes in my closet. Other than that I don't think I'm too bad :bleh:

Adanu
Oct 16, 2007, 12:46 PM

You sound like my mother, she is a stickler for respect and cleaniless too... and she hasn't had a decent job in over 3 years because if her co-workers are not christian prudes like her, she considers them disrespectful and quits it.

'slobs' simply do not CARE what others think of them. So, you could say that 'clean' people have low self esteem and have the need to present themselves in a 'better' light.

It goes both ways, see? You want us to respect your desires? Respect ours. I simply do not feel a need to organize stuff. If it is in the area and isn't being damage, I could care less how it's stacked.

ViCyniC
Oct 16, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a semi slob when it comes to my room. But I'm not a slob when it comes to being around public property. I don't litter and do other **** like that. And I don't contribute to noise pollution either, which I know that many people suck at. They all love to attention whore at some level. :o :rolleyes:

The Voodoo
Oct 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Slob in my opinion is someone who is always a messy eater.. obvious unclean clothes and a filty place of residence that you likely have trouble walking around in because of stuff laying on the floor and everywhere else.

Somewehat lazy person (me) generally keeps things clean, but has tendencies to leave plates or glasses around for a while (about 1/2-1day for me), you can walk around in their house.. but it is somewhat messy. House generally gets cleaned 1-2 times a month at the most. In public they are very clean and so is their workstation or car or whatever.

Clean person.. well.. everything is virtually always clean.

genci88
Oct 17, 2007, 10:38 PM

Dude, I have plenty of self esteem, but I don't give a **** what people think of my apartment (which does indeed looks like crap, because I don't clean up very often. (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33903930)) What is the point of cleaning if you live alone? It's just a waste of time IMO.

However, if I know that the person who is coming over really gets disgusted at messy rooms, then and only then will I make the effort of cleaning my apartment.

Ryoko
Oct 17, 2007, 11:32 PM
As the topic states, why? My wife and I are clean without going over to the compulsive side. After we eat we clean our dishes when we are done, or put them into the dishwasher. Every weekend we go through and clean the house ie vacum/mop/dust etc. My son (22) is quite the opposite. He is a a slob. He never makes his bed. He never puts away his laundry (it just stays in piles on the floor and or all over his bed). Beer bottles just sitting around, dishes he ate off of sitting around. Is it there way of having control over something in there life? Is it just that they dont want to be like there parents? Why is it people just dont want to be clean sometimes? If any of you have trouble with being clean or tidy plz chime in cuz I would like to know what you think creates this.

in this instance, he probably didn't have to do all that much cleaning growing up, and didn't learn why it is necessary.

not trying to call you out or anything, but giving my honest opinion.

Ryoko
Oct 17, 2007, 11:35 PM
Dude, I have plenty of self esteem, but I don't give a **** what people think of my apartment (which does indeed looks like crap, because I don't clean up very often. (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33903930)) What is the point of cleaning if you live alone? It's just a waste of time IMO.

However, if I know that the person who is coming over really gets disgusted at messy rooms, then and only then will I make the effort of cleaning my apartment.

cleaning is necessary even if no one is coming over.

dirty areas attract pests, bacteria, and can even lead to respiratory problems. keeping things clean can make a person feel a little better of themselves, too. :)