View Full Version : Awesome Tesla coil pic

Nosferatu
Feb 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
http://xs312.xs.to/xs312/07050/TeslaRotBreakoutTopView1000.jpg

More at http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm

ViCyniC
Feb 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
*Gets flashback of the movie The Prestige*

Edit: Oh, and Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#References) on Nokola Tesla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#References)

BeardedClem
Feb 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
The noise from that thing must be deafening. And the ozone from that thing must be stinkening. Tesla was the type of genius the world may never see again.

I've read his biographies and watched documentaries on him and I'm still fascinated by what one man can be capable of. Too bad history never properly credits him for basically inventing just about every electronic device in use today.

ZeeM
Feb 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
The noise from that thing must be deafening.

I guess it is :bleh:

http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla_School_3.JPG

Spencer
Feb 4, 2007, 05:39 PM
I think you can pick it up at Wallmart.

phial
Feb 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
Nokola Tesla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#References)

hes my hero :heart: Tesla was argueably a greater genius than einstien

Tesla was the type of genius the world may never see again.

I've read his biographies and watched documentaries on him and I'm still fascinated by what one man can be capable of. Too bad history never properly credits him for basically inventing just about every electronic device in use today.

EXACTLY!!!!! he completely changed the world

edit: he was also the by far the first person to transmit signals via radio waves... but Marconi stole his idea even though Tesla had patents.... later the government corrected the error, but it was after Tesla's death and to this day Marconi is still credited for it which I cannot understand sinse the patents clearly show it was Tesla's invention...

Raged_Fanatic
Feb 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
So will this create a clone of me or not?

VW_Factor
Feb 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
The noise from that thing must be deafening. And the ozone from that thing must be stinkening. Tesla was the type of genius the world may never see again.

History credits other people with some of his work.

vazel
Feb 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
it's a ****ing disgrace that before prestige i never heard of tesla. i was reading the wiki of prestige and clicked on his linked name and found out he was a real guy.

squid
Feb 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
So will this create a clone of me or not?

why don't you try walking into one?

i learnt about tesla at uni

logical
Feb 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
These things exist? I thought they only existed in Command and Conquer :D:lol:

SirBaron
Feb 4, 2007, 07:37 PM
These things exist? I thought they only existed in Command and Conquer :D:lol:

:lol: Yeah that was the first time i ever heard of a Tesla Coil, btw that pic in the OP is ****ing amazing! :drool:

Scott
Feb 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
edit: he was also the by far the first person to transmit signals via radio waves... but Marconi stole his idea even though Tesla had patents.... later the government corrected the error, but it was after Tesla's death and to this day Marconi is still credited for it which I cannot understand sinse the patents clearly show it was Tesla's invention...

I recently watched a documentary on Nicola Tesla and they implied that he had no interest in patents.

Uber_Tiny
Feb 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
Kinda suprised many of you have never actually heard of a Tesla Coil. Did you know that your Tube TV has one in it?

phial
Feb 4, 2007, 08:48 PM
I recently watched a documentary on Nicola Tesla and they implied that he had no interest in patents.

Aye, and it was because of what happened with Marconi ;)

edit: also the improvements he made on Thomas Edisons DC motors, he kinda got screwed over there too although it didnt involve patents but it was kind of similar - intellectual property.

SirBaron
Feb 4, 2007, 08:50 PM
Kinda suprised many of you have never actually heard of a Tesla Coil. Did you know that your Tube TV has one in it?

I have a Tube TV? :bleh: :p

Well it was never mentioned in school... and i dropped out of college. So it's no suprise i never heard of it till C&C came out. :bleh:

Djinn
Feb 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
hes my hero :heart: Tesla was argueably a greater genius than Einstein.....
Not sure about that, but he got royally screwed over by Edison. Edison had invested a TON of money into powering cities using direct-current electricity. Granted, it required substations on every block, and thick cables running everywhere, but it worked. When Tesla advocated alternating-current, which could be transmitted through thin wires across great distances, Edison was enraged, and did everything he could to discredit and bankrupt Tesla - and being filthy rich, he did a rather effective job of it.

BTW, not all of Tesla's ideas were good ones. Some were dangerously terrible, such as his plan to broadcast omnidirectional wireless power from a central station. Considering that energy radiates in a sphere, we're talking about 99%+ wasted energy.

Pinedon
Feb 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
It's funny, upon first glance at the original image, I thought it was just some poorly rendered graphic effect... but it's actual real life electricity. lol

cjl64
Feb 4, 2007, 10:25 PM
It's funny, upon first glance at the original image, I thought it was just some poorly rendered graphic effect... but it's actual real life electricity. lol

i know.. this is way better

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9760/ra2.gif

lol.... just playing around:p

rob75383
Feb 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
BTW, not all of Tesla's ideas were good ones. Some were dangerously terrible, such as his plan to broadcast omnidirectional wireless power from a central station. Considering that energy radiates in a sphere, we're talking about 99%+ wasted energy.

I read up on that a little more, and I think he had an interesting idea, although his concept wasn't really to transmit the power from the tower itself.

From what I recall, he had a tower somewhere, and its purpose was to create an intense EM field around itself. It took massive amounts of energy, but once the field reached its max potential, the polarity would be reversed, thus allowing the field to grow even bigger. This process would be repeated, until the field would connect an underground electrode with the ionosphere. I dunno if he ever did it, but he figured that once you tap into that layer, you had almost infinite electricity, since you are using the earth's EM at that point.
This same technology could be used for communication, and broadcast as well.
I guess tesla imagined to put towers literally everywhere, and just harness the free energy contained within the earth's atmosphere.

Back in the 1900's I can see towers like this supplying us with power. But I don't know if tesla accounted for all the power consumption we are currently at, and if his theoretical system would be able to keep up with current demands.
Besides, widespread tapping into the ionosphere doesn't sound like a safe long term plan to me. What would the effects be?

<edit>
From the wiki page on wireless energy transmission...

Electrical conduction
From experiments performed between 1888 and 1907 Nikola Tesla concluded that the earth is an excellent electrical conductor, and an electric current can be made to propagate undiminished for distances of thousands of miles. It was also found that the earth’s natural electrical charge can be made to oscillate, "by impressing upon it [very low frequency] current waves of certain lengths, definitely related to its diameter." [9]
It was also discovered that the resistance of the earth is negligible due to its immense cross sectional area and relative shortness as compared to its diameter.
A [conducting] sphere of the size of a little marble offers a greater impediment to the passage of a current than the whole earth. . . . [9] The resistance is only at the point where you get into the earth with your current. The rest is nothing.[10]
126 x-Q. In this system, then, as you have described it, the current actually flows from the transmitter through the ground to the receiver; is that so?"
"Yes, sir; it does, in accordance with my understanding. In my Patent No. 649,621, “Apparatus for Transmission of Electrical Energy,” [May 15, 1900] it is stated distinctly: “It is to be noted that the phenomenon here involved in the transmission of electrical energy is one of true conduction and is not to be confounded with the phenomena of electrical radiation, etc.” [11]
Tesla envisioned the development of a "world system" based upon these principles that would combine wireless telecommunications and electrical power transmission.
The currents are proportionate to the potentials which are developed under otherwise equal conditions. If you have an antenna of a certain capacity charged to 100,000 volts, you will get a certain current; charged to 200,000 volts, twice the current. When I spoke of these enormous potentials [on the order of 12 million volts], I was describing an industrial plant on a large scale because that [industrial power transmission] was the most important application of these principles, but I have also pointed out in my patents that the same principles can be applied to telegraphy and other purposes. That is simply a question of how much power you want to transmit. [12]
The communications component was his initial goal. While electrical power transmission was viewed as being of greater importance, the attempt at its large-scale implementation would have taken place only after feasibility of the basic concept had been established. In 1901 work began on a prototype world wireless station known as Wardenclyffe, that would have been the first in a system of interconnected towers designed for this purpose. The second facility was planned for the southern coast of England. Wardenclyffe was not completed due to financial difficulties.

cjl64
Feb 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
I read up on that a little more, and I think he had an interesting idea, although his concept wasn't really to transmit the power from the tower itself.

From what I recall, he had a tower somewhere, and its purpose was to create an intense EM field around itself. It took massive amounts of energy, but once the field reached its max potential, the polarity would be reversed, thus allowing the field to grow even bigger. This process would be repeated, until the field would connect an underground electrode with the ionosphere. I dunno if he ever did it, but he figured that once you tap into that layer, you had almost infinite electricity, since you are using the earth's EM at that point.
This same technology could be used for communication, and broadcast as well.
I guess tesla imagined to put towers literally everywhere, and just harness the free energy contained within the earth's atmosphere.

Back in the 1900's I can see towers like this supplying us with power. But I don't know if tesla accounted for all the power consumption we are currently at, and if his theoretical system would be able to keep up with current demands.
Besides, widespread tapping into the ionosphere doesn't sound like a safe long term plan to me. What would the effects be?

Not to mentino this sounds like it would totally mess with all kinds of wireless communication and transmitions that we currentally use today.

rob75383
Feb 4, 2007, 11:07 PM
Not to mentino this sounds like it would totally mess with all kinds of wireless communication and transmitions that we currentally use today.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking too. But lets say he did develop it back in the 1900's, by now, we might've created something similar to what we have now, utilizing his technology in the process.

I edited in a little blurb I found on wiki, BTW.

cjl64
Feb 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking too. But lets say he did develop it back in the 1900's, by now, we might've created something similar to what we have now, utilizing his technology in the process.

I edited in a little blurb I found on wiki, BTW.

Very true... history in the making or could have been made is always neet to think about. Like you said, i bet we could have used this to also amplify wireless technology with less energy if we had to develope around it that way. Also, like you mention.... i bet this would totally do something really bad to the planet over long use.... say it might even slow or accelerate the earths movment. Hard to say if that really would have happened. But changeing polarities and achieve stronger force and then as 100 of thousands of these EM fields... hard to say what that kind of power could do. Even wonder if it would destroy our own EM field that protects use from the sun... we would end up having high-atmosphere static discharge and really nasty sun burns:(

VW_Factor
Feb 18, 2007, 06:49 PM
Bump for another good pic.

http://tesladownunder.com/Tesladownunder's%20Car%20Theft%20Pevention%201000.jpg

DigitalDemon
Feb 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
Bump for another good pic.

http://tesladownunder.com/Tesladownunder's%20Car%20Theft%20Pevention%201000.jpg

When this thing hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious ****. :lol:

curio
Feb 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
I have a Tube TV? :bleh: :p

:lol:

red_star
Feb 18, 2007, 08:08 PM
hes my hero :heart: Tesla was argueably a greater genius than einstien

EXACTLY!!!!! he completely changed the world

A man with great vision. And his vision of having cars using electricity will come true...

It's just the beginning...

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

VW_Factor
Feb 18, 2007, 08:14 PM
A man with great vision. And his vision of having cars using electricity will come true...

It's just the beginning...

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

His vision of cars using electricity? What?

Youve posted some pretty stupid **** around here, but really.. Cars were the least of his concerns.. :lol:

We are concerned with the man, not the company that builds cars in his name or whatever.

Edit : To be more clear here, he didnt just study things electric. He studied things related to the entire electromagnetic spectrum, encompassing a whole **** load more than just electricity.

red_star
Feb 18, 2007, 08:20 PM
One of his ideas were to have cars using electricity instead of the gas. But, I agree it wasn't his primary goal. You don't need to call anybody stupid...

VW_Factor
Feb 18, 2007, 08:36 PM
One of his ideas were to have cars using electricity instead of the gas. But, I agree it wasn't his primary goal. You don't need to call anybody stupid...

No.. I dont think it was a goal of his at all. Through most of my studies, I read about his studies of electric motors (motors and engines are different). Never anything to do with cars, or propelling cars with electricity. Just because we apply electric motors and their tech to cars today, doesnt make that a vision of his, nor a life long dream, etc.

And no.. I didnt call you stupid either. I said you've posted some stupid **** here. There is a difference. I post stupid **** here as well.

Supra_Freak
Feb 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
Holy hell! those pics are crazy! I like the car one, that **** is tight! Have that thing running while your going down the road, gaurentee you will never get in an accident cause everyone would be too damn scared to get close to you, hahaha

caveman-jim
Feb 18, 2007, 10:33 PM
Tesla was da man. Faraday was cool, too.

SirBaron
Feb 19, 2007, 03:47 AM
When this thing hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious ****. :lol:

Such as?

Yes it's a serious question BTW. But damn those pics are amazing...

So what do you need to build a homemade tesla coil? :bleh:

gilly_54
Feb 19, 2007, 07:32 AM
Such as?

You get teleported back or forth in time IIRC...

gilly_54
Feb 19, 2007, 07:34 AM
Holy hell! those pics are crazy! I like the car one, that **** is tight! Have that thing running while your going down the road, gaurentee you will never get in an accident cause everyone would be too damn scared to get close to you, hahaha
But doesn't it only last for a split of a split second?

Djinn
Feb 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
But doesn't it only last for a split of a split second?
My guess is that we're looking at a time-lapse photo - probably a few seconds at least.