PDA

View Full Version : Fake Ovation Acoustic Guitar?

acidosmosis
Jun 27, 2006, 06:02 PM
This guy is selling what he claims to be Ovation electric-acoustic guitars on Ebay. I find it suspicious that nowhere in the images of any of his auctions where he is selling these guitars are you able to see the name "Ovation". They look very similiar to an Ovation and physically I can't tell a difference, but I've noticed in a few of his feedbacks that someone claimed they were sent fakes or entirely different brands of guitars than what they ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Ovation-type-CT754-Blue_W0QQitemZ250000426683QQihZ015QQcategoryZ47064QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have any clue to whether the guitar in the image is a fake?

I contacted the guy and asked him for a photo of the word Ovation on this guitar and he never replied, so I've pretty much blacklisted this guy from any purchases ever. I also reported him for selling counterfeits to hopefully get him investigated.

BassAckwards
Jun 27, 2006, 06:16 PM
it is questionable..... the shot of the electronic controls for the pickup almost always have the work ovation on them. I have an electric ukuele and the pickups on it even say ovation......so i would be very warey.

acidosmosis
Jun 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
it is questionable..... the shot of the electronic controls for the pickup almost always have the work ovation on them. I have an electric ukuele and the pickups on it even say ovation......so i would be very warey.

I'm not going to buy it, I found a really good auction for an Ovation. Just curious what other people thought. The guitar "looks" really good, but looks don't mean a whole lot. More curious of whether this guy is ripping a lot of people off or not. Looks like it to me.

shasha
Jun 27, 2006, 11:19 PM
Tht quilt top looks a little flakey to me. The fact that it says 'type' tells me that it isn't an Ovation at all, just a knockoff for sure. That and the lack of a headstock shot.

Aneska
Jun 27, 2006, 11:25 PM
the pictures suck, I wouldnt buy it.

Tyrion
Jun 27, 2006, 11:32 PM
On Google, I couldn't find a model that says CT754, so it's likely a fake.

Elysian
Jun 27, 2006, 11:47 PM
could be a really low end ovation applause... the back does look like an ovation, the way it has that access hole under the backside of the bridge... the top doesn't look like spruce at all, it actually looks like ash to me...

heres one from the same seller, and it says "ovation type"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Ovation-type-CT754_W0QQitemZ7424618408QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47064QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

so he's not claiming it to be an actual ovation, just a guitar like an ovation... still probably junk.

Nakor Allthumbs
Jun 28, 2006, 01:14 AM
he's says that he's selling "ovation type guitar" so i'd say he's not misleading.

I buy lots of guitar stuff off ebay. there are only a few types of guitars made my many different manufacurers so the phrase type is common.

you could be looking for a "strat" type guitar which would have the basic stratocaster shape.. 3 single coil pick ups.. a 5 way selector switch, and 3 knobs. this guitar could be made by peavy, fender, charvel, yamaha, etc.

another type is the Les Paul type (LP) for short. When you are looking for this "type" you are looking for a solid body shaped like the gibson... it'll have a 3 way switch, 2 volume and 2 tone knobs... as well as a tuneomatic type bridge and 2 humbuckers (usually covered).

For acoustic guitars there are Dreadnaut styles, classical styles, and ovation styles..

for ovation styles you know you're getting a plastic rounded back.

Dreadnaut styles is a fairly large guitar with a picguard and a centered sound hole.

Ok i'm off my soap box... any more questions or maybe some more insight to the chinese guitars (i've had a bunch) drop me a message..

acidosmosis
Jun 28, 2006, 06:01 PM
Well I ended up getting this:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4336/8d125yl.jpg

The seller has 100% feedback and considering the explanation of his auction didn't make him sound like he dropped out of third grade like most sellers I felt like I could trust him as well as you can trust any decent seller on Ebay.

$237.68 and includes everything in the picture.

I love bidding in the last 60 seconds, it worked well. Though next time I think I will wait till the last 30 seconds. There were two or three others trying to outbid me in that last 60 seconds. I guess they knew just as well that it is smart to be there before auction close and bid in the last minute.

FeL1x
Jun 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Looking through his feedback, people have complained about fake guitars, and most of his positive points come from small auctions for several dollar items.

Perky McGiggles
Jun 28, 2006, 07:08 PM
Did anyone read the thread title and think it said "Ovulation" at first? :bleh:

acidosmosis
Jun 28, 2006, 07:15 PM
Looking through his feedback, people have complained about fake guitars, and most of his positive points come from small auctions for several dollar items.

Yea, I noticed that. That's why I didn't buy from him. The Ovation with the case/capo/strings/strap/etc was a much better deal anyway. :-)

NissanNazi
Jun 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
The title says "Ovation Type" Doesn't say it's a real one

fluorescenthat
Jun 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
wtf do you expect for 120$ theyre not going to sell a 1000$ guitar.
dont feel bad I bought a nice 1000$ movado for 70$ once that turned out to be fake.

acidosmosis
Jun 30, 2006, 07:15 AM
wtf do you expect for 120$ theyre not going to sell a 1000$ guitar.
dont feel bad I bought a nice 1000$ movado for 70$ once that turned out to be fake.

Um dude, a lot of REAL Ovations sell for $200-400.