PDA

View Full Version : Decided to rent a 360 to try media abilities...

Night Fisher
Dec 10, 2005, 06:43 PM
Am I in the dark or is it bloody hard to figure out? I followed the instructions
(downloaded the windows media software for the PC, etc etc) and it still
fails. I wasted 2 hrs trying to figure this out and it's not working. Has
anyone been successful in connecting the 360 to a PC via windows media
center? If so, explain how the heck you do it, PLEASE!!!

It's pissed me off to all hell. I hate the fact I can't just throw in a CD/DVD
full of .avi for .mov files and watch them. Streaming from the PC is really
a pain (or at least, setting the bloodclot thing up!!)

Basically, I install the software on my PC, but it *NEVER* asks for the SETUP
KEY. The xbox itself is waiting for windows media connect to work, but when
it says it's all set-up, it never asks for the key that the 360 told me to
write down.... so very frustrated... hate it.

(very angry)
Nf.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 06:52 PM
You are using Windows XP media edition correct? I was under the impression this is the only version of windows that will work with the 360. Windows update installs a patch so the 360 will work with it. I have yet to try it as I dont have a USB cable to try it with.

Update: Well just checing looks like you can connect to a regular windows based PC as well.

Night Fisher
Dec 10, 2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe that's the problem. On the site:

www.xbox.com/pcsetup

There's a program called "Windows Media Connect" that you're supposed to
download and run on your PC. It'll supposedly allow your xbox 360 to
connect to your pc running XP SP2. Unfortunately, this hasn't been working
for me at all. I've followed the instructions over and over again. I probably
will give up. There's just too many hassles to go through just to get this
thing running. I guess I'll have to stick to my original xbox for media abilities.
Sigh, I guess XBMC is still the king.

Nf.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 07:09 PM
I would try it myself but cant come up with a USB cable that would work. :(

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 07:16 PM
Am I wrong in guessing You use a USB cable to do this? Im reading through the setup and it communicates through the Network port? I will read through and give it a go if this is true.

Night Fisher
Dec 10, 2005, 07:19 PM
Actually, I've been using a network cable and router. It's weird, the PC can
see the 360, but not vice versa. I'm not sure if one should be able to ping
the 360 or not, but it's not pingable. Seems like some weird security feature,
perhaps for live or something.

If you get it working, let me know how. Thanks.

Nf.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 07:21 PM
I will Im giving it a go now, I was allways under the impression it was USB.

Night Fisher
Dec 10, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cool, thanks. I'm heading over to a chick's place right now... will look to
see how it went for you later.

Nf.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 07:41 PM
First attempt through a WindowsXP mediacenter 2005 setup went without a hitch First try and all works great, Its kind of cool as the remote is much better than using the crap ATI remote. Im going to try it on my regular XP machine as well now.

SirBaron
Dec 10, 2005, 08:16 PM
I use media connect on xp pro, my xbox 360 is directly conneted to the pc via ethernet cable, and till 2moro that is, my pc is connected also via ethernet to the router. Seeing as i am moving rooms in the house later on today i shall be switching back to wireless.

Make sure theres no firewall or avast antivirus or any of that crap running. Thats what usually killed it for me.

If you keep that media connect running, then switch to your 360 you should be able to see the pc. If i had my new room finished (ran into slight delay) i would be able to use my camera then take a pic of any settings.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6184/desk5gs.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desk5gs.jpg)

Thats what it should look like, if the pc side of things are all setup properly. However you can only stream pictures or music via windows xp.

For videos, which are limited to mpeg and wma files i believe you need windows media center 2005. Which i do not have.

I was actually thinking about getting windows media center 2005, is it decent enough? I have my pc connected to my hdtv 100% of the time so it will be used, and does it have all the features of xp? I don't want to make it my primary OS to find that half of my games stop working etc.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 08:17 PM
Ok, Here it is,
Worked perfectly with both setups, But I see what your problem is, You downloaded the wrong software for your XPSP2 machine. There are no codes to use using the install for XP SP2. But there are codes if you install the media center edition 2005 of XP. If you want the real deal, Windows XP mediaedition 2005 is the way to go. Much nicer setup when using this version of windows. I can watch TV and do just about anything in this version of windows. The only thing you can do with the XP SP2 install is stream music and pictures. If thats all you want to do with it, It does the job just fine. Also on a side note my pc firewall tried to block it many times but I just granted access and it was all working without a problem. Kind of easy to check for this as I have my pc and XBOX 360 connected to the same TV on different inputs on the TV. That was the main reason I had not tried this out for myself as it doesnt gain me much. Only thing I see it gains me as I can use the media center remote which is much better than the buggy ATI remote and instead of my PC speakers it pipes the sound through my TV instead which is kind of a plus for me as well. I guess it also makes my ATI HDTV wonder tuner more viable to record from if I want to as well. On a hardware sidenote I am doing this through a cheap netgear router and wired. I think your only mistake was the software you were trying to use was not the correct install. Im really suprised it couldnt tellyou this when you tried installing it to the wrong operating system.

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 08:21 PM
I use media connect on xp pro, my xbox 360 is directly conneted to the pc via ethernet cable, and till 2moro that is, my pc is connected also via ethernet to the router. Seeing as i am moving rooms in the house later on today i shall be switching back to wireless.

Make sure theres no firewall or avast antivirus or any of that crap running. Thats what usually killed it for me.

If you keep that media connect running, then switch to your 360 you should be able to see the pc. If i had my new room finished (ran into slight delay) i would be able to use my camera then take a pic of any settings.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6184/desk5gs.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desk5gs.jpg)

Thats what it should look like, if the pc side of things are all setup properly. However you can only stream pictures or music via windows xp.

For videos, which are limited to mpeg and wma files i believe you need windows media center 2005. Which i do not have.

I was actually thinking about getting windows media center 2005, is it decent enough? I have my pc connected to my hdtv 100% of the time so it will be used, and does it have all the features of xp? I don't want to make it my primary OS to find that half of my games stop working etc.

What I find funny is that Windows XP media Edition is really Windows XP Pro with more media functions. Does make a nice setup over the standard Windows XP pro as it has software that gives you guide data and a nice menu system when you bring it up in your XBOX 360. Firewall stuff will be fine as long as you have your firewall set to ask you about everything that is going in and out of your machine.

brc64
Dec 10, 2005, 08:27 PM
There are two ways to stream media from the PC with an Xbox 360. One requires Windows Media Center 2005, the other will work with regular Windows XP.

If you have Windows Media Center, you have to download the Windows Media Extender, and that allows you to basically use all of your Media Center functions from the Xbox (from my understanding).

If you just have Windows XP SP2 (Pro or Home), you have to download Windows Media Connect, which lets you share out folders for the Xbox to pick up on. HOWEVER, WMC does NOT let you stream video. It's strictly audio and pictures.

- Me

Nascar24
Dec 10, 2005, 08:40 PM
I highly suggest anyone that wants to do this get Windows Media Edition 2005. Adds so much more to the experience. Of coarse you need a TV tuner card as well. While you are in the media edition of Windows XP you can also go out to select web portals to get scores and news as well as other info. It really is a nice setup. If I didnt have my PC connected in the same room to the same TV this would really be more of a plus for me then it is but even so I find it nice using the remote which is really made for media center to control it through the XBOX 360.

SubCog
Dec 10, 2005, 09:18 PM
I agree. If you can stream media from your computer, you should be able to read the same media off a cd.

Night Fisher
Dec 11, 2005, 03:25 AM
Oh man, you're kidding me!!! Damn I wish they had an XBMC type software
which didn't rely on the PC in the first place (or at least, allowed me to
share my documents like XBMC).

Oh well, I tried. As an aside, I notice the 360 does a fantastic job with the
DVD quality after all. Even though there's no upscaling, 480P widescreen
looks incredibly crisp and clear... almost as good as XBMC on my xbox
running at 720P. I also notice you can kinda fast forward dvd's, but it's
really not fun. I watched a bit of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and it
looks so amazing on my Sony XBR.

Anyhow, I have this 360 until Thursday next week so I'll fiddle with it some
more. I am enjoying PGR3's pick-up racing mode. More than anything else,
my Nissan Skyline responds incredibly well. Nice to have the draw distance
to help me see corners further ahead too. Very nice indeed.

Regardless of what happens with the media situation, I'm happy I rented this
machine. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a 360, but at least I got a taste of
it without blindly spending a bundle. It's a nice machine (yes, even the core
one)... now if only I get the games I like on it. Oh well, there are a few
interesting titles coming next year that'll likely make me pick one up around
summer or so if I don't get one in the next few weeks. Ahh well, I rented
PD0 so I'll also give that a go.

Thanks for all your help guys (especially Nascar24)!! Much appreciated!

Nf.

Nascar24
Dec 11, 2005, 06:52 AM
Not a problem, I probably would have done it sooner if I had known it was using the network and not a USB cable. :)

CurrentlyPissed
Dec 11, 2005, 06:58 AM
Woah woah woah you guys went way too deep into this thread.. The answer is easy if it is what I am thinking. The program is failing to install for you. Even if not try this.. When you open the zip file extract it to a new folder. Now when you double click this folder there is a [Setup] folder right there but see that isn't the setup you click :wink: instead go into the folder mcrdinstaller and click the wmcsetup icon in that folder.

Nascar24
Dec 11, 2005, 08:59 AM
Woah woah woah you guys went way too deep into this thread.. The answer is easy if it is what I am thinking. The program is failing to install for you. Even if not try this.. When you open the zip file extract it to a new folder. Now when you double click this folder there is a [Setup] folder right there but see that isn't the setup you click :wink: instead go into the folder mcrdinstaller and click the wmcsetup icon in that folder.

No, That wasnt it, It was installing for him, It was just the wrong version of the install as there are 3 different versions of the install depending on which operating system you are using. Click on the link Night Fisher put in this thread and you will see what I am talking about.

Night Fisher
Dec 11, 2005, 09:30 AM
Well, woke up this morning and tried a few other things, including bypassing
the router and using a crossover cable. Seems the xbox is being seen by
the PC as the MAC address is showing, but WMC isn't working at all. I don't
know if it's because this is a core box or not, but there's a thread somewhere
else in which others were complaining of the same thing.

As I've said before, the 360 is aparently not pingable from the PC either (has
anyone else tried this?).

Oh well...

Nascar24
Dec 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
Well, woke up this morning and tried a few other things, including bypassing
the router and using a crossover cable. Seems the xbox is being seen by
the PC as the MAC address is showing, but WMC isn't working at all. I don't
know if it's because this is a core box or not, but there's a thread somewhere
else in which others were complaining of the same thing.

As I've said before, the 360 is aparently not pingable from the PC either (has
anyone else tried this?).

Oh well...

This appears to be true, I can ping the gateway but trying to ping the XBOX 360 IP is a no go. But I am connected. On a side note I also thought you needed the premium edition (hard Drive) For this to work but I could be wrong.

Zoolander1
Dec 11, 2005, 10:42 AM
NightFisher,
Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have the .NET Framework 1.1 and/or 2.0 installed on your PC. They are on the Windows Update site but aren't installed automatically. I believe those need to be installed in order for there to be a proper connection with the XBOX 360.

Night Fisher
Dec 11, 2005, 11:59 AM
NightFisher,
Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have the .NET Framework 1.1 and/or 2.0 installed on your PC. They are on the Windows Update site but aren't installed automatically. I believe those need to be installed in order for there to be a proper connection with the XBOX 360.

yep, I have 2.0

Night Fisher
Dec 14, 2005, 03:55 AM
Heh, I decided to return the 360 a couple days early since I needed the
$1000 pre-authorization they put on my visa back (and I'm never doing
that again!).

The 3 guys in Rogers Video were all smiles and argued amongst each other
on who's going to rent it now that I returned it.

By the way, check this out: Some guy at FutureShop near me in Toronto
decided to quit when the 360 came out. Aparently employees couldn't buy
the 1st batch, so he decided to quit so that he can buy it. Pretty sad if
you ask me.

Anyhow, PGR3 was fun while it lasted. My good ol' Nissan Skyline handled
beautifully as ever. :)

Nf.

P1553D
Dec 14, 2005, 09:29 AM
hey nf, after reading your first post i decided to try it out and i was having the exact same problems that you was where the program would install and it would see my xbox, but my xbox would not see the pc. then i found that there was a different program to download v2.0. so i downloaded that and was sure that my woes would be gone. nothing. i tried hooking it up through my router and directly to my computer with both regular and crossover cables. but the xbox would always fail that connection test. i finally gave up for the night, decided to give it another go the next day after i got home from work. next day i get home turn on the computer and xbox and in the media center connect on the pc i see that it now has the option of allowing me to share the files with my xbox. so i allow it. i then go over to the xbox and run that connection test again, still nothing. at this point they are both back on the network. then i go back to the place on the dashboard that i first entered when trying to do the media stuff, you know where it told you to download and install the media center connect first before attempting to connect to your computer, well now that i had it installed i selected that option, it saw my computer, i was then able to get my music and pictures. i then went back to that damn media connection test, ran it again, and it passed. so i think, and mind you i am not sure, that you have to download that v2.0 media connect, install it, reboot so the xbox will show up in the media connect list, let it allow you xbox to share, then go back to the media option on the dashboard and hit it, let it do it magic with media connect software and you should be good to go. i do not think that the media connection test will work till after the xbox sets it up through that dashboard option.

i know that this is all kinda moot now since you have already taken it back, but i just hate when things are supposed to be simple and wind up being way more trouble that you bargained for, and then when you finally find the solution, it was just as simple as it should have been in the first place. hopefully this will help other people that may be running into the same problem. also i am planning on wiping my computer clean in the next week or so, so i will be able to test and make sure of the proper steps to take and eliminate the extras that came from the trial and error.