PDA

View Full Version : Why was there never a Shogo sequel?

Nagorak
Jan 31, 2005, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know? I recently played this game (I know, a little late), and at the end it says something about watch for a sequel. Yet, we never saw one and it's like 6-7 years later. :confused:

Did the game do badly or something? Did the main guy behind it get fired or die or something? I'm really curious why a sequel to this game was never made and really wish they would make a modern version.

I think with today's graphics and updated gameplay/story, Shogo 2 could be an amazing game! :evil:

Hamidxa
Jan 31, 2005, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know? I recently played this game (I know, a little late), and at the end it says something about watch for a sequel. Yet, we never saw one and it's like 6-7 years later. :confused:

Did the game do badly or something? Did the main guy behind it get fired or die or something? I'm really curious why a sequel to this game was never made and really wish they would make a modern version.

I think with today's graphics and updated gameplay/story, Shogo 2 could be an amazing game! :evil:

I agree.

When i built my first computer in 1998 (all by myself :D )
I purchased 3 games for it, to showcase my Voodoo2.

Quake II, Unreal, and Shogo.

I played and beat both Unreal and Shogo to death (never touched QII after about 30 mins of single player...man id lost their touch big time after Doom II)

Always was fond of Shogo myself, and always wondered the same thing.

sandorski
Feb 1, 2005, 01:13 AM
Good question. Shogo was a great game and I'd probably pick up a sequel of it(depending on who made it).

sMashPiranha
Feb 1, 2005, 01:27 AM
I was just thinking this same thing a few days ago. Tons of average/crappy games get sequels, why did Shogo never get one?

H-Alien
Feb 1, 2005, 02:28 AM
simple reason: Shogo didn't sell.

although I believed it was a great game, it sold very very badly unfortunately.

silencerelite
Feb 1, 2005, 06:26 AM
There's been screenshots of Shogo 2 but that was from a tech demo for LithEngine 2. Looks very sweet though, since FEAR is coming- maybe they'll bring out the sequel to Shogo. :)

Nagorak
Feb 1, 2005, 08:48 AM
simple reason: Shogo didn't sell.

although I believed it was a great game, it sold very very badly unfortunately.

They should have sold it in Japan. :cool:

t0adp1p3
Feb 1, 2005, 09:03 AM
Hamidxa, you lost your mind? Quake 2 had some of the best multiplayer ever for it's time. The edge? holy crap you never played Q2 MP? Oh and shogo was a very fun game.

acroig
Feb 1, 2005, 09:31 AM
Hamidxa, you lost your mind? Quake 2 had some of the best multiplayer ever for it's time. The edge? holy crap you never played Q2 MP? Oh and shogo was a very fun game.
Well, I for one loved Q2 single player and that's why I'm looking forward to Quake 4.

Trunks0
Feb 1, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yea Shogo sold quite poorly dispite it being a vary cool game. The game play was straight up fun with imho a cool anime feel to it. But for one reason or another is just failed :(

Dawg
Feb 1, 2005, 02:52 PM
There's been screenshots of Shogo 2 but that was from a tech demo for LithEngine 2. Looks very sweet though, since FEAR is coming- maybe they'll bring out the sequel to Shogo. :)

Shogo was awesome, I was just debating whether to fire it up again, but after like 5-6 years, I might be disappointed.

FEAR's gameplay video reminds me a lot of Shogo - the feeling of heavy, nasty firefights. Is it the same developer?

movieman
Feb 1, 2005, 03:14 PM
Is it the same developer?

Yes :).

Hamidxa
Feb 1, 2005, 03:16 PM

I never got into Q2 multiplayer...ya i know, my loss.

But i was basing my opinion on Q2 singleplayer alone.

Brinkman
Feb 1, 2005, 04:26 PM
i love shogo.. AWESOME weapons in the game.. plus i loved the whole "you're in a huge mech" feel that was easy to control

they could create a sweet ass game with todays technology... i just love owning all those little tanks and dudes in the huge mech with those big explosions

GSGRUNT
Feb 1, 2005, 04:47 PM
I donít think Shogo was marketed well to casual gamers. I remember being hyped over the demo but my friends and co-workers never heard of it. A few weeks later, we where all playing Shogo and not getting any work done. I think soon after Shogo was released, Half-Life was released and that was the end of Shogo for us.

Dawg
Feb 1, 2005, 09:01 PM
Yes :).

Cool! What most impressed me about Shogo was the visceral feel to the indoor combat. FEAR really seems to have that too, few games do that well. In fact FEAR is the first game since Shogo that gave me that feeling.

Yminale
Feb 1, 2005, 11:15 PM
There's been screenshots of Shogo 2 but that was from a tech demo for LithEngine 2.

There is no Shogo 2. The screen shot was just an example of the capability of Lithtech2. Anyway there are some interesting mecha mods for HL2 in the pipeline.

Nagorak
Feb 2, 2005, 06:47 AM
Yea Shogo sold quite poorly dispite it being a vary cool game. The game play was straight up fun with imho a cool anime feel to it. But for one reason or another is just failed :(

I hate to say it, but I sort of understand how it did poorly. Even the fact that I'm just playing it now sort of explains it. It was a cool game and I enjoyed, but at the time it came out, I never really gave it a shot.

I feel sort of bad about it now. Not that I, personally, could have saved the game from poor sales. :(

That said, I think the idea could be successful. I think there is a lot of love out there for mech games. I think the trick would be to market Shogo 2 as less anime and more futuristic shooter. You could still keep the anime elements, but make them a little less prominent and indirect (the intro of Shogo was in Japanese, for example, that would not be the way to go with a sequel).

AgentOtaku
Feb 2, 2005, 08:27 AM
yah, I remeber playin Shogo on my dads P2 400 with Voodoo 3 I believe. 1st played the demo and then was sold on the game. Saved up my money (doing chores and such) and bought retail game. Still have it with booklet!
I should fire it up sometime in the future for a nostalgic trip.
I remeber seeing those screens on Lithtech2.0. When I saw them, i thought a sequel was coming too....sigh

Yah I loved the anime feel to it (even though I hate most anime now, despite my name. With exceptions being classics such as Ghost in the shell 1&2, ninja scroll...basically the truly exceptional) and I truly hope someone revives the property. I remeber planetshogo.com and how people really stood by this game for the longest time with the mod community and such. Tis a shame

switchAMG
Feb 2, 2005, 10:18 AM
Shogo was great, I remember playing it on my p3-450mhz with my brand new Matrox G400 32mb card -- I had to upgrade my ram from 64mb to 128mb :lol:

Emilee
Feb 2, 2005, 11:08 AM
Great game, still have my copy.

Grizzzley
Feb 2, 2005, 12:57 PM
I suggest all of you that have the game still load it up and try a few multiplayer games. I played on lan with my bro a lil while back and it was a blast. Difficulty based on how many players join( up to 5 i think ) and you start off with all weapons..