PDA

View Full Version : Old Radeon 9800PRO POSTs, any other 9800PRO doesnt!

BenStark
Mar 30, 2004, 02:14 PM
I've had a stock ATI Radeon 9800 PRO for awhile and while modding it I did a poor job and had tons of artifacts. I recently bought the same brand/version card again from CiruitCity where I received my original one. The new card wouldnt POST and it looked a bit different than my original (broken) card. I returned the new card and got a different one thinking it was a defective card. Still no POST from my mobo's BIOS, thinking CircuitCity had these two different looking cards, maybe their stock was defective. I bought another card at BestBuy. Same look and model as the new ones at CircuitCity. No POST, but I get a long beep and wo short ones from this card, meaning theres a video problem.

Heres the info of the cards Ive tried in order of purchase:

Original: ATI 9800 PRO with Samsung RA memory
P/N 102A0750203 090713
S/N: 180345 908111
This card works, only after I modded it, I did a poor job and it checkerboards.

1st of the new cards: ATI 9800 PRO with Samsung RA memory
P/N 102A0750203 000001
S/N:63040601988
This card gets no video/BIOS POST and doesnt even beep an error.
If I take out the power plug and boot it will show video, that being of course the warning to plug in the power cable.

2nd of the new cards: ATI 9800 PRO with Hybrid memory
P/N: 102A0752100 000001
S/N: 630352003661
This card gets no video/BIOS POST but does the one long beep and two short beeps for an error.
If I take out the power plug and boot it will show video, that being of course the warning to plug in the power cable.

I've tried changing the BIOS with updates and older BIOS revisions.
I've cleared the mobo CMOS and reset resetings and tried the Fail-Safe default settings.
I've underclocked my Athlon XP 3000+ from the stock 166FSB to the mobo's standard 133FSB it officially supports. No luck.

Here's my setup:
Abit KX7-333 mobo
Corsair PC2700 1.2GB memory
Athlon XP Barton 3000+ at stock 166FSB (KX7-333 handled it fine)
300+ WATT PSU

Any advice is appreciated!

Meteor|WAR
Mar 30, 2004, 02:33 PM
Have you had the chance to try any of those cards that wont POST in another computer? If they work in another rig i'd say it's got to be something wrong with your motherboard's AGP slot or something, just a hunch.

blkskull
Mar 30, 2004, 02:36 PM
I agree, it almost sounds like the card is not quite all the way in the slot.

BenStark
Mar 30, 2004, 02:43 PM
I wont be able to test the card in another computer for another day or so.

I thought the card might not of been in the AGP slot all the way as well.
I cleaned the slot and when I put the cards in the slot, it seems to go in all the way.
I've also tried positioning the card a lil one side or the other with its slight room to lean.

No luck so far, while other suggestions come in, I'll take a double check with the AGP slot and the PCBs of the cards.

BenStark
Mar 30, 2004, 03:19 PM
Ok this is weird. I got one of the new cards to run like normal, under a very strange condition.
If I put the card in the mobo WITHOUT the power cord attached, then let the computer boot for 2-3 seconds and plug in the power to the video card, it works like normal! Also, as soon as the power is plugged in at that insant I hear a fan or something revving.

What do you think is the problem? Could it be my power supply?
In my Abit Award BIOS it says the AGP card is getting 1.48V.

Any way to get the new card(s) working without doing that dangerous procedure?

Thanks for the help :)

BenStark
Mar 30, 2004, 08:46 PM
I read in Abit's forums that others were having the same problem as me. Its not an Abit specific problem, but affects my KX7-333 motherboard. The problem is that some revisions of the 9800 PRO don't get along with older motherboards that use AGP 2.0 specs instead of AGP 3.0. It's a voltage issue due to the 3.3V given with AGP2.0 specs for POSTing the video card. The revisions of the 9800 PRO I had would fail to POST, unless I did that power cord swap during mid boot.

Solution is to get a motherboard with AGP3.0 spec.

racingx
Apr 1, 2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by BenStark
I read in Abit's forums that others were having the same problem as me. Its not an Abit specific problem, but affects my KX7-333 motherboard. The problem is that some revisions of the 9800 PRO don't get along with older motherboards that use AGP 2.0 specs instead of AGP 3.0. It's a voltage issue due to the 3.3V given with AGP2.0 specs for POSTing the video card. The revisions of the 9800 PRO I had would fail to POST, unless I did that power cord swap during mid boot.

Solution is to get a motherboard with AGP3.0 spec.

Damn thats crazy! But it makes sense.

irby
Apr 1, 2004, 05:56 PM
This problem sucks, and I'm dealing with it. I have an Intel 865PERLL board, and yeah, it's AGP 2.0 rev. instead of 3.0 .

Instead of turning the PC on without the power to the card, turn the PC on, then immediately hit the reset or ctrl-alt-del. You might have to hit it twice if the first time didn't do anything. That should give the power enough time to kick in and turn the video on.

PS: Your original card worked fine because it was not Revision 1.0 . Your two new cards are. The 000001 at the end of your part number is a dead giveaway. Revision 1.0 does not like AGP 2.0 revision boards. I need to bribe a friend of mine to swap Radeons because he doesn't have a 1.0 and I do.

Hope this helps.