PDA

View Full Version : Can a president serve more than 8 years?

toy187
Mar 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine the other day and he brought up an interesting point.

I know that a president can't be elected more than twice, making it a limit of 8 years, but what happens if he is not elected into his first term? Let's say a president is elected and then dies a few months later. The vice-president then becomes president. Can he be elected another 2 times?

Yeuemmaimai
Mar 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
Yes

vitocorleone
Mar 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
Yes, the VP can still be elected President twice.

Kamiclone
Mar 8, 2004, 12:59 PM
ya serve pres twice then VP twice.

Frog
Mar 8, 2004, 01:14 PM
22nd amendment. A person can only be elected twice, or, if he holds the office of president for more than two years by any other means, only elected once. So a president can only serve a term of six to ten years.

Theoretically, however, if a person were to be vice president and the president resigned or died with less than two years left, it wouldn't count, so they could be president for an unlimited number of years, assuming of course that the president always died or resigned with less than two years left in his term.

Deftones
Mar 8, 2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Frog
22nd amendment. A person can only be elected twice, or, if he holds the office of president for more than two years by any other means, only elected once. So a president can only serve a term of six to ten years.

Theoretically, however, if a person were to be vice president and the president resigned or died with less than two years left, it wouldn't count, so they could be president for an unlimited number of years, assuming of course that the president always died or resigned with less than two years left in his term.

DAMN! I finally wanted to be the smart one and i actually knew the answer but you had to beat me to it! Anyway, so if someone is elected pres for 2 full terms, then becomes vice pres, then the pres dies, does that mean speaker becomes pres, and the vp retains his position?

Trekster
Mar 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ludacris
DAMN! I finally wanted to be the smart one and i actually knew the answer but you had to beat me to it! Anyway, so if someone is elected pres for 2 full terms, then becomes vice pres, then the pres dies, does that mean speaker becomes pres, and the vp retains his position?

The US political system is based very strongly on regulations, as well as checks and balances. It's a good system for most things, but if something unlikely like that happens, I'm not sure that the system is flexible enough to adapt.

toy187
Mar 8, 2004, 07:18 PM
thanks!

Bomb&Run
Mar 8, 2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by vitocorleone
Yes, the VP can still be elected President twice.

HURRAYYY!!! clinton...:bleh:

Bing
Mar 9, 2004, 07:58 AM
Isn't it possible to be pres for 2 terms, retire, and become pres again after 4 years?

movieman
Mar 9, 2004, 08:02 AM
No. After eight years it's off to the lecture circuit for you...

Caleb
Mar 9, 2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by movieman
No. After eight years it's off to the lecture circuit for you...

Damn, there goes the hope GWB staying in office for 10 more years.

Bing
Mar 9, 2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Onde Pik

:sadpanda:

bishuse
Mar 9, 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Onde Pik

thank

god.

Ady
Mar 9, 2004, 11:17 AM
Serve more than 8 years in Jail? Some of them should. :D

toy187
Mar 9, 2004, 12:38 PM
at least you guys can't get stuck like we did. 11 years of Jean Chretien was too much! :mad: