PDA

View Full Version : TV out - horizontal lines on TV Screen

AIWHELP
Jan 9, 2002, 03:48 PM
When using the TV out function, I notice that there is a horizontal line (I think 2 of them) that constantly scroll up the TV screen. It sometimes gets quite annoying. You can especially see them on a dark scene when watching a DVD or playing a game. I am using an AIW 32 DDR Radeon and I am using a normal RCA video cable running to the Input 1 In on the back of my TV. Is there any way to get rid of the line?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Drakester
Jan 9, 2002, 06:04 PM
Try a better A/V cable. The one you're using is probably low quality. The one that comes with the ATI cards is horrible and gives wretched display.

Veazer
Jan 10, 2002, 12:26 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about, I was just about to post a question about this.

First, I'm 99% sure it isn't related to cable quality. I have tried top-grade monster cable, cheapo composite, etc. The exact same lines are there with any cable used.

The 2 lines are separated by 1/2 the height of the screen. They kind of look like small waves rolling up the screen, one lit from above and one lit from below.

My description probably sounds a bit odd, but that's the best way I can think to describe it.

On the downside AIWHELP, I don't think a solution will ever be available. I think that the TV-out is just flawed, but to a degree that most consumers won't notice. This is the difference between consumer-grade equipment and broadcast-grade equipment.

But if anyone does have a solution, we're listening...

AIWHELP
Jan 10, 2002, 10:58 AM
That is exactly what I see on my TV screen. I was thinking of trying the S-video cable instead of the regular rca cable but, I guess you have tried that already, and had the same results. The lines are annoying. Do the same lines appear with the ATI RADEON 8500 AIW?

Thanks

vey
Jan 10, 2002, 11:14 AM
Look at this page:
http://www.ericvey.com/tvinterference/

I achived it from the FCC website and it is gone from there now. Nothing replaced it :(

Anything look a little familiar?

Veazer
Jan 10, 2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info, vey.

I will assume it is electrical interference based on this:

"...Electrical interference many times will be seen as two or three horizontal lines on the television screen and may be accompanied by a loud buzzing or sizzling sound through the TV speakers or stereo system. Many times the lines move upwards on the television screen and may be on for hours at a time or for a few seconds at a time. In severe cases, the entire screen may be covered with rolling horizontal lines."

If I disconnect the tv-out and connect a standalone DVD, I don't see any such lines. So I an assume that the interference is coming from the PC and not the TV, correct? And since the PC is on a decent UPS, there's not much more I can do for electrical interference on that end.

My conclusion, just guessing, is that the electrical interference is occuring at the ATI card itself. Any ideas?

Drakester
Jan 10, 2002, 02:43 PM
I was having this problem, when using TV Out on my VIVO in Win2k. I tried every driver update, every tweak, and every suggestion with the same results every time. I then went down to Radio Shack and got a cheap Monster cable clone. After that I haven't had the slightest problem, except that the display always looks just a little washed out. In XP I have had no problems, even when I plug in a cheap video cable to run to the small tv.

vey
Jan 10, 2002, 02:51 PM
This will be hard to do with the Radeon because of heat concerns, but I made a "sandwich" from two heavy sheets of paper (I used a grocery bag) with a double layer of aluminum paper in between.

Long strips of tape all along all sides with wide tape. We don't want to have any metal work it's way out and short anything ;)

I made the sheet go up and over the card and left the back open for the case fan to blow air directly into it.

Cleaned up a lot of interference for me. I had the diagonal lines.

Veazer
Jan 10, 2002, 03:12 PM
That's funny vey! I was actually going to suggest something like that as a joke. But it actually works?!? I'm going to go build my radiation shield right now...

Would those little ferrite loops be of any assistance? I've seen some people using them on their audio cables. (Is my lack of electronic knowledge becoming apparent?) ;) Thanks again...

vey
Jan 10, 2002, 03:42 PM
I tried those ferrite things and got a new monitor cable before I tried the sandwich. Didn't help my video at all.

Couldn't tell you about audio. Never had a problem with that (knocking wood furiously).

AIWHELP
Jan 10, 2002, 09:48 PM
Would using an S-video cable solve the horizontal line problem? If anyone is using S-video let me know if you still get the lines. Also, if I create that shield thing that was posted earlier is there any risk of doing damage to my Radeon card? Damn horizontal lines!!!

Thanks again

Veazer
Jan 11, 2002, 08:24 AM
Would using an S-video cable solve the horizontal line problem? If anyone is using S-video let me know if you still get the lines. Also, if I create that shield thing that was posted earlier is there any risk of doing damage to my Radeon card? Damn horizontal lines!!!

Thanks again
I should have been clearer in my first post, I tried a nice Monster S-video cable and it didn't do anything for the horizontal line problem.

As for the shield, yes there is a risk. At least 2 in fact:

1) in making the shield, make sure that none of the foil is uncovered by the insulating material of your choice. If a piece of exposed foil were to short circuit anything on your mobo, vid card, etc you are going to be screwed. The entire exterior of the shield should be non-conductive

2) if your "radiation shield" blocks the ventilation to the ATI card too much it will overheat. This probably wouldn't result in permanant damage but your system will lock-up and/or have corrupted video until you fix the problem

frodebok
Jan 15, 2002, 06:50 PM
Today, I started to get these two lines on my TV also. I thaught that maybe my Radeon 8500 was broken, until I read this thread. After I read the TV interference document that are referenced in an earlier post, I thaught I might give it a try. After some searching, I found out that it was my cable-TV cable that made the interference. When I unplugged the TV cable, the intererence dissapeared and also the buzzing noise from my speakers :-). I got my cable TV today, so that is why I haven't had the problem before. The interference is not visible on any other TV connections (standalone DVD, VCR,...) only connection from PC.

p0rnflake
Jan 16, 2002, 10:09 AM
Yep - I've got those lines too - using 16m og S-Video cable !

vey
Jan 16, 2002, 04:38 PM
So Veazer?
Did you try the shield yet?

AIWHELP
Jan 16, 2002, 11:19 PM
I got a 25ft s-video cable running to my TV instead of the RCA cable i had before. The lines are a lot less noticeable but they are still there. The average person might not notice them but I still see them scrolling up the screen. I was getting the buzzing sound from my speakers too but that stopped for some unexplainable reason. I'm going to try to unplug the cable from the TV and see what happens. I am a bit reluctant to try the shield thing though. I am not to sure about the shield thing though. Wouldn't placing the shield on top of the video card cause it to heat up or something. Exactly what kind of paper should be used and is tinfoil what is used to put in between the papers? (Just in case i want to try it out).

Thanks again, and its' good to see others have had the same problems. For weeks I thought there was definitely something wrong with my card.

Veazer
Jan 17, 2002, 02:00 AM
vey-

I was going to try it, but then I knocked my TV off its shelf onto a tile floor. Please send letters of condolence, along with a check or money order....

Anyway, I'll probably give it a try when I have something to test it on.

JVC 36" TV
Slightly used, modified tube
Excellent for blind children

AIWHELP
Jan 17, 2002, 10:38 PM
I unplugged the cable from the TV and what d'ya know...no more interference. No more lines just a great picture and the sound got a bit louder too and no more buzzing sounds. Frodebok, thanks for that post!

Thanks again to everyone's ideas!

Veazer
Jan 18, 2002, 09:00 PM
AIWHELP-

Conrgats, glad you finally have clean output. Just curious, are any other video components affected by the cable noise or just the ATI card? That seems so weird...

Any video experts have an explanation of how this occurs? Can a compsite video signal (or s-video signal) be "weak" and more prone to interference than an other component using the same input jack?

AIWHELP
Jan 18, 2002, 10:14 PM
The only other thing going to my TV is a VCR using RCA cables. When using the TV-out function (TV set to channel 90) if I disconnect the cable the picture is free of lines and the audio is perfect. As soon as I bring the cable close to the TV the lines appear and I can hear the buzzing sound from the speakers. Can't explain it but I am glad its' resolved.

Leonardi
May 27, 2003, 05:58 PM
Is there any other way around to this, other than unplugging the cable used by Cable-TV? It would be a hassle to keep plugging/unplugging the cable each and every time one would like to use TV-out.

DinSum
Jul 9, 2003, 01:19 AM
read this thread

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33694919&highlight=tvout+lines

should help

ganon2003
Jul 9, 2003, 11:09 AM
Can you post a picture of the aluminum shield solution? And step by step pictures for the newbies like me out there!

I would love to see it!

Also a picture of the grounding cable would be great too. No step by step necessary though... :)

fuzzyduck
Aug 15, 2003, 07:32 PM
WOW, Unplugging actually worked!!!! You made my day! But now the gamma is low. So i`ll go and figure that out now...