Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

"

Old May 16, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Default AMD 890GX/SB850 Chipset drivers?

did anyone notice how difficult it is to find the AMD 890GX/SB850 chipset drivers? It took some digging, but i found them: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...ista32-chipset

???
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
did anyone notice how difficult it is to find the AMD 890GX/SB850 chipset drivers? It took some digging, but i found them: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...ista32-chipset

???
Go to game.amd.com, click on drivers & tools, click on AMD southbridge drivers, click on OS, there they are. Not that difficult IMO.

Or, when on the amd.game.com Drivers and Support page, click on Catalyst drivers on the left, then click on Mainboard/Integrated drivers and look at the section that says Individual Drivers (Motherboard/Chipset).

I don't see how that's that difficult. No more difficult than going to ASUS' website and looking up the model and downloads for it.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Go to game.amd.com, click on drivers & tools, click on AMD southbridge drivers, click on OS, there they are. Not that difficult IMO.

Or, when on the amd.game.com Drivers and Support page, click on Catalyst drivers on the left, then click on Mainboard/Integrated drivers and look at the section that says Individual Drivers (Motherboard/Chipset).

I don't see how that's that difficult. No more difficult than going to ASUS' website and looking up the model and downloads for it.
well i was initially confused when you asked what was wrong with using the "10.4" AMD ahci driver. when you mentioned 10.4, i figured that all of the chipset drivers/ahci drivers were included with the Catalyst suite. today is the first time i have come across the individual motherboard drivers, so i feel that this whole setup requires some clarification for at least some end users...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 16, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
erek
Banned

wowoa... the 10.4 AMD AHCI driver has gotten me a lot more maximum speed...

Microsoft AHCI: 229.2 MB/sec MAX

AMD 10.4 AHCI: 239.6 MB/sec MAX

(will post screenshots soon)
Old May 16, 2010, 10:40 PM   #5
erek
Banned

AMD 10.4 AHCI:

Microsoft AHCI:

(Thanks caveman-jim)
Old May 16, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
erek
Banned

strange... i rebooted once more and it spiked to 245.8 MB/sec MAX with the AMD 10.4 AHCI... with a minimum of 123.0 MB/sec... incredible...

so what was that AHCI bug involving SB600??

Stable AMD 10.4 AHCI performance:

incredible how i was losing out on a good bit of overall performance... noticable too.. because i was experiencing jitters with Google Chrome loading up... etc, there was pauses on loads with the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver... I hope that this information helps others who are new on how this all works.

really it is like a whole new computer because i have been fiddling around with different cables, etc to get this jitter/pause out... i swapped 3.0Gbps and 6.0Gbps rated cables in and out that came with the board suspecting that they are really sensitive, but discovering the individual AMD driver packages for motherboards was the real solution. Forget the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver.

Last edited by erek : May 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7
erek
Banned

no TRIM support with AMD AHCI drivers...

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y
Old May 17, 2010, 11:55 AM   #8
erek
Banned

at least this is done with
Old May 17, 2010, 11:14 PM   #9
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

How do I install AMD's AHCI drivers?

I have AHCI enabled and working fine with Windows 7's native drivers. However, when I try to install the AHCI driver (the one found here), my AHCI controller is apparently not detected:

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 11:40 PM   #10
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
How do I install AMD's AHCI drivers?

I have AHCI enabled and working fine with Windows 7's native drivers. However, when I try to install the AHCI driver (the one found here), my AHCI controller is apparently not detected:

i believe i first uninstalled the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver (through the device manager,) and then...

update the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' driver (through the device manager,) and navigate to "C:\ATI\Support\10-4_vista32-64_ahci\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI"

[those are the ahci drivers]
Old May 18, 2010, 12:26 AM   #11
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
i believe i first uninstalled the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver (through the device manager,) and then...

update the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' driver (through the device manager,) and navigate to "C:\ATI\Support\10-4_vista32-64_ahci\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI"

[those are the ahci drivers]
Thanks. That worked. I don't understand why the Catalyst installer was unable to detect it though.

I noticed that with MS' driver my disk drives were listed under Device Manager as "ATA Disk Devices", while now they are listed as "SATA Disk Devices".

Also, with MS' driver I had a bunch of channel listed in device manager:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 2
ATA Channel 3

After installing AMD's driver there are now only 2:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1

pic:

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:36 PM   #12
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
Thanks. That worked. I don't understand why the Catalyst installer was unable to detect it though.

I noticed that with MS' driver my disk drives were listed under Device Manager as "ATA Disk Devices", while now they are listed as "SATA Disk Devices".

Also, with MS' driver I had a bunch of channel listed in device manager:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 2
ATA Channel 3

After installing AMD's driver there are now only 2:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1

pic:
performance (delta)? or perceptible differences?

i know that there was definitely a difference in my setup...