PDA

View Full Version : New X-fi drviers 2.15.0006

0091/2
Mar 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
New X-fi driver Released today.
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows Vista™ and Windows® XP support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty®
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Fixes:

Resolves the issue for systems with 4 GB of RAM.
Resolves the Digital I/O detection issue when restarting your computer.

Known Issues:

Before installing this driver, close the Creative MediaSource Go! application on your desktop and restart your computer. (After you have installed this driver, you may manually launch the MediaSource Go! application from the Start menu)
When adjusting the master volume in any of the Mode Console, there is no sound output in the rear speakers. (Use the Microsoft Volume Control panel to adjust the master volume)
Requirements:

Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005 or Window XP MCE 2004
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?MainCategory=209&Product=14000&dlcentric=10485&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+X%2DFi+Fatal1ty&filetype=1&OSName=Windows+XP+Professional+x64+Edition

Pirate Neilsouth
Mar 14, 2008, 08:29 PM
Last time i installed the xfi drivers it updated my firmware and caused numorus BSODS took me all day to get it fixed.

SteveButabi
Mar 14, 2008, 10:54 PM
Downloading now. They appear the same as the betas from January that Neil was having problems with, but I'll install em anyways I guess. Always hoping that they will actually release drivers that get rid of the damn cracking and popping.

mizzer
Mar 14, 2008, 11:29 PM
Neil's recent headaches with new Creative drivers scares me away from these. :bleh:
Anybody install them yet? What's the scoop?

0091/2
Mar 15, 2008, 12:19 AM
Neil's recent headaches with new Creative drivers scares me away from these. :bleh:
Anybody install them yet? What's the scoop?
Avoid it!
Downloading now. They appear the same as the betas from January that Neil was having problems with, but I'll install em anyways I guess. Always hoping that they will actually release drivers that get rid of the damn cracking and popping.
I'm getting random cracking and popping sounds onXP x64.
Last time i installed the xfi drivers it updated my firmware and caused numorus BSODS took me all day to get it fixed.

How did you fix it? where can I download the previous drivers?

sMashPiranha
Mar 15, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have to wait for Auzentech to do QA on these to make sure it won't delete my CPU

SteveButabi
Mar 15, 2008, 01:00 AM
No difference at all here. Same cracking and popping in games/mp3s. :(

H-Money
Mar 15, 2008, 01:16 AM
working fine here (on XP 32bit)

Rockshocker
Mar 15, 2008, 05:11 AM
Aren't these the ones that update the firmware and is non reversable? That's what the beta's were and I avoided them as well. I don't like the known issue of the rear volume not working properly, I'll wait. :(

Pirate Neilsouth
Mar 15, 2008, 05:16 AM
How did you fix it? where can I download the previous drivers?

Clean out the drivers , remove card from computer reboot... Then reinstall drivers , the older drivers would no longer with this updated firmware. Was stuck with the betas

junglist1996
Mar 15, 2008, 05:20 AM
I had the clipped audio (http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=18021) issue with my X-Fi XtremeMusic on the HTPC which runs Vista x64. I think I've saved myself a whole lot of anguish by using the following instructions:

1. Remove X-Fi driver and card from system.
2. Place X-Fi card in original packaging.
3. Store X-Fi retail box in an out-of-sight location.
4. Boot up computer and install drivers for onboard audio.

Maybe I'm really deaf or something. But TBH, I don't seem to notice any discernible difference with the receiver hooked up to the onboard audio via Digital Coax.

GanjaStar
Mar 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
its pretty pathetic that they just promoted a beta driver to a regular one. And you'd think that 1.5 years since the last driver would bring more than 2 changes...:bleh:

Auric
Mar 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
I did not mess with the betas. These files are dated late February though. For Vista they sport a WaveRT driver but even for ye olde XP (which I use) even the visible changes are quite significant versus the previous release (2.09.0007). Briefly, there's a new Audio Service and a bunch of on-demand sub-services (see Non-Plug and Play Drivers), an updated Audio Console, and new independent levels for every channel in the mixer regardless of speaker setting.

If experiencing click noises when stopping and starting playback, ensure that at least one of the three analog source levels (Mic, Aux, Line-In) is neither minimal nor muted. Otherwise it is recommended to mute those not in use anyway to eliminate noise. Since I use Mic recording I opt to set its play control slightly above min (still silent) and mute both Aux and Line-In since those are not used.

I believe this is a driver issue which was introduced years ago as it only began later in my use of an Audigy 2 ZS and carried over to X-Fi XM.

daPhoenix
Mar 16, 2008, 12:04 PM
Installed - works out of the box, no issues but then I've never had issues with Creative.

Must be those hand picked parts of mine.

Dr. Zhivago
Mar 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
I had the clipped audio (http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=18021) issue with my X-Fi XtremeMusic on the HTPC which runs Vista x64. I think I've saved myself a whole lot of anguish by using the following instructions:

Maybe I'm really deaf or something. But TBH, I don't seem to notice any discernible difference with the receiver hooked up to the onboard audio via Digital Coax.If you're not using the Analog outs with On-Board audio solutions, then the differences between them and dedicated sound cards tend to be a lot less noticeable. The A/D-D/A converters tend to be the weakest links with On-Board audio.

Rockshocker
Mar 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
Oh if there are new features and it looks different then maybe I'll try them out hehe

Razeus
Mar 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
grabbed and installed. no issues as usual. i just did a fresh install of vista with sp1 too.

GanjaStar
Mar 17, 2008, 11:27 AM
No issue with the xp 32bit version and extremegamer card.

Does anyone know what the CTAudSvc.exe service does?

i've disabled it right from the start and haven't noiced anything strange. I'll probably do some testing to see if it affects performance in any possible way.

Rockshocker
Mar 18, 2008, 04:00 AM
I installed them and notice nothing different with Vista 32bit. Niether good nor bad, except COD4 is much more smooth than usual. Probably because I degragmented my drive, but I do that 10 times a day anyhow.

demo
Mar 19, 2008, 02:24 AM
no issues here, installed fine and is running as it should (touch wood)

Auric
Mar 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
No issue with the xp 32bit version and extremegamer card.

Does anyone know what the CTAudSvc.exe service does?

i've disabled it right from the start and haven't noiced anything strange. I'll probably do some testing to see if it affects performance in any possible way.

When the Audio Service is stopped, do the on-demand services (Non-Plug and Play) still function? Can the different effects still be activated from the Audio Console and be heard to work?

What's this auto-BIOS update about? There was no pop-up with mine and I did not notice anything in the expanded driver package. Does it exist in this package or only in previous beta? Is it only for the first production cards (for instance before the heat sink equipped variants)?

Pirate Neilsouth
Mar 19, 2008, 01:48 PM
Is it only for the first production cards (for instance before the heat sink equipped variants)?

Seems like it as not everyone gets the " firmware " update warning

GanjaStar
Mar 19, 2008, 05:12 PM
When the Audio Service is stopped, do the on-demand services (Non-Plug and Play) still function? Can the different effects still be activated from the Audio Console and be heard to work?

What's this auto-BIOS update about? There was no pop-up with mine and I did not notice anything in the expanded driver package. Does it exist in this package or only in previous beta? Is it only for the first production cards (for instance before the heat sink equipped variants)?

I have the extreme gamer card with the heatsink. By disabling the new service that eats memory :p , i didn't looses any functionality. The 3 different consoles (game, enterntainment, audio production) still fully work, afterall they should since they worked before this service even was in the drivers. No issues in games. I didn't get any firmware update nor do i have any hissing,
crackling or any sort of audio issues. What the service does is thus unknown to me, and google hasn't helped.

One thing i did notice with or without the service enabled, different conoles do not remember specific settings. I have different volume levels set for speakers and headphones, and with the older drivers they would be remembered when switching modes. Now they always stay as the last setting I used. If i set 100% for speakers, it stays 100% for headphones, even though I always set it at 80%.

Taman Linkin
Mar 20, 2008, 01:53 AM
Just installed, no problem here.

Rockshocker
Mar 20, 2008, 01:05 PM
Is there any benchmarks or reviews with realtek HD vs the XFI I can only find a few brief forum posts. My xfi shares an irq with my network and if I move the xfi to the only other slot half of my video card fan is covered up.

Rad2owns
Mar 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
Im running SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_15_0004 dated Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:43:22 PM with no problems at all.
X-FI Extreme Music, came with a Passive heatsink on it.

Im definitely not updating.
Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

junglist1996
Mar 21, 2008, 04:44 AM
Fixes:

Resolves the issue for systems with 4 GB of RAM.
Resolves the Digital I/O detection issue when restarting your computer.
Does that mean the Digital I/O module (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780) actually works now? My X-Fi XtremeMusic worked fine when I had Windows XP on the HTPC. At that time, I was using a X-Fi I/O Console (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=14711) borrowed from a friend who has the X-Fi Elite Pro. I had the clipped audio with the digital out on the breakout box after installing Vista x64 but at least I could get sound. With the Digital I/O module I have, I couldn't even get any sound as the receiver didn't get a signal at all. If this issue is fixed, maybe I'll try to install the X-Fi for the one last time.

Razeus
Mar 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ok new issue:

Did a fresh install of Vista and threw SP1 on top of it.

Loaded Nvidia drivers and the new X-fi drivers.

Upon reboot, static was heard through my speaker setup.

Decided to reboot and it's gone and has never come back. Decided it was a freak thing.

Now all my media, whether music or video, using any software (media player, itunes) playing intermittenly . It'll play, pause (video and music for movie files or music for mp3's) for a while and resume. It'll repeatingly do this at random points in the file and the software I'm using will fail to respond (can't stop, pause, rewind, skip, etc) until the file resumes playing.

Suggestions?

GanjaStar
Mar 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok new issue:

Did a fresh install of Vista and threw SP1 on top of it.

Loaded Nvidia drivers and the new X-fi drivers.

Upon reboot, static was heard through my speaker setup.

Decided to reboot and it's gone and has never come back. Decided it was a freak thing.

Now all my media, whether music or video, using any software (media player, itunes) playing intermittenly . It'll play, pause (video and music for movie files or music for mp3's) for a while and resume. It'll repeatingly do this at random points in the file and the software I'm using will fail to respond (can't stop, pause, rewind, skip, etc) until the file resumes playing.

Suggestions?

I had a similar issue on xp when keeping the card in while reinstalling windows. The default drivers would always leave some junk that would conflict with the new ones. Now I Always install windows and then plug in the card afterwards, so the only drivers is ever gets is the newest ones.

Kraven
Mar 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
Also got ctaudsvc.exe in processes but cant disable it from msconfig, can just rename the file i guess but would like to know what this is.

Also do vista users have audiodg.exe running in their processes?

GanjaStar
Mar 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
Also got ctaudsvc.exe in processes but cant disable it from msconfig, can just rename the file i guess but would like to know what this is.

Also do vista users have audiodg.exe running in their processes?

you can disable ctaudsvc from services.msc. if something doesn't work just re-enable it.

blacksunshine
Mar 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
My brother updated his drivers to these and updated openAL and no more squeal of death from his card. Been a few weeks now.

sama98b
Mar 29, 2008, 01:17 PM

Maybe I'm really deaf or something. But TBH, I don't seem to notice any discernible difference with the receiver hooked up to the onboard audio via Digital Coax.

That is exactly what I did. X-fi roting in it's box.
Onboard >>> x-fi
Dedicated sound cads time ended.

SteveButabi
Apr 6, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hmmm. I seemed to have fixed some of my crackling issues.....

I decided to move my X-Fi down one pci slot, and now I get a lot less crackling and popping.
STALKER seems to be fully crackle free, and it was one of the worst games for crackling that I play. Psychonauts I really don't notice any difference (Still bad enough to annoy me though). Source games are almost crackle free now too. A lot of my music still does it, but pretty hit and miss there.

GanjaStar
Apr 6, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hmmm. I seemed to have fixed some of my crackling issues.....

I decided to move my X-Fi down one pci slot, and now I get a lot less crackling and popping.
STALKER seems to be fully crackle free, and it was one of the worst games for crackling that I play. Psychonauts I really don't notice any difference (Still bad enough to annoy me though). Source games are almost crackle free now too. A lot of my music still does it, but pretty hit and miss there.

have you tried these drivers?

http://files.filefront.com/Youp+Pax+XFI+V407rar/;9761734;/fileinfo.html

they're the best I've ever used for my xfi gamer edition card.

SteveButabi
Apr 6, 2008, 05:04 AM
have you tried these drivers?

http://files.filefront.com/Youp+Pax+XFI+V407rar/;9761734;/fileinfo.html

they're the best I've ever used for my xfi gamer edition card.

Haven't tried any user made drivers, just off creatives site. I'll give them a try if they're working good for ya.

Edit: Installed them and no better/worse then before so far, I'm just gonna keep them installed. Reading the readme file, english is definitely not the first language of the guy that made them, haha. I'd +rep ya but it won't let me :(

GanjaStar
Apr 6, 2008, 11:28 AM
Haven't tried any user made drivers, just off creatives site. I'll give them a try if they're working good for ya.

Edit: Installed them and no better/worse then before so far, I'm just gonna keep them installed. Reading the readme file, english is definitely not the first language of the guy that made them, haha. I'd +rep ya but it won't let me :(

yeah the guy speaks funglish, it does make the drivers appear a bit amateurish :p

its definitely better sound quality than creative's default drivers, if that means anything when you have crackling. :o

one thing is sure, creative's drivers leave a lot of junk even when you uninstall them and use driver cleaners, so you might actually have leftover files.... but I'm not an exper on this. I just search for creative in system32 folder and in the registry, and delete enything that says creative, then install new drivers.

SteveButabi
Apr 6, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping I got everything. Ran driver cleaner and did a manual search and destroy for any creative files in the system folder and registry.

Kraven
Apr 8, 2008, 11:48 AM
I dont have a big issue with in game crackling its just if i watch a video say youtube with full volume i get crackling or if im listening to an mp3 at full volume crackle and pop and even left ear sound just stops. Quite annoying