PDA

View Full Version : Dizzyness and Nausea after playing First Person Shooters?

Ocelot
Feb 25, 2005, 01:05 AM
Do any of you experience dizzyness and Nausea after playing First Person Shooters for at least an hour? I finally got around to playing Half Life 2 today (Been playing WoW since it came out :P) and after playing for like 30-45 minutes I started feeling dizzy and nauseaus. The strange thing is that it's happened to me before but only while playing FPS. I told my girlfriend about it and she said I might be sensitive to light, and that may be the reason why im getting dizzy. And it's true I am a bit sensitive to bright lights. So has this happened to you before and if it has, do you have any suggestions so that I can prevent it from happening? Thanks

shockwave
Feb 25, 2005, 01:08 AM
it happens to some people. there have been a few threads made in the past about this very topic, if you want to search for them you'll probably find some answers.

try not to sit too close to the screen, and take frequent breaks. play for 20 minutes, go get a drink or bathroom break, play for another 20 minutes. that would probably be better compared to sitting 5 inches away from the monitor playing for an hour straight

Renocide
Feb 25, 2005, 01:26 AM
Do any of you experience dizzyness and Nausea after playing First Person Shooters for at least an hour? I finally got around to playing Half Life 2 today (Been playing WoW since it came out :P) and after playing for like 30-45 minutes I started feeling dizzy and nauseaus. The strange thing is that it's happened to me before but only while playing FPS. I told my girlfriend about it and she said I might be sensitive to light, and that may be the reason why im getting dizzy. And it's true I am a bit sensitive to bright lights. So has this happened to you before and if it has, do you have any suggestions so that I can prevent it from happening? Thanks

Depending on your playing habits.

Make sure your leaving a decent amount of space between you and your screen. Make sure you have good lighting around your desk area as turning off the lights or diming them can compound your problem.
Like Shock said take frequent breaks if you have too.
Some are more prone to it than others and you will just have to make some changes to help you play longer.

dawdler
Feb 25, 2005, 01:32 AM
Its all in the game: I can play fastpaced twitch-shoot-run-n-gun Joint Operations for hours without feeling a thing (other than hunger). But 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 and the nausea is creeping up from my stomach. In fact, the last 6-7 years or so, Half-Life 2 is the ONLY FPS that does this to me.

I think its the illusion of walking. In Joint operations your gun shakes, your screen shakes and in general, the screen behave as you would expect it to behave. You feel perfectly fine with the fact you are looking from a soldiers point of view.

In Half-Life 2 you are moving like you are flying around on clouds with a gun that goes halfway across the screen in a so smooth and huge movement you think Gordon would have to spend all his concentration just moving the gun correctly. You cant even stop without sliding across the apparent slippery floor.

Mr. Seepgood
Feb 25, 2005, 03:52 AM
If what everything that was suggested above doesn't help, you might have the equivelant of sea sickness. It happens when different parts of your brain are "arguing" whether you're moving or not. In the case of FPS sickness (not the one caused by bad FPSs, ho ho :nuts: ) your eyes are sending signals to your brain that you're in motion, while the parts in charge of balance and stuff like that like the right ear (I think :confused: ) are telling it that you're sitting still.
Same thing with sea sickness - eyes say you're not moving while you obviously are.

Also

If you or any of your relatives have a history of seizures or epilepsy, consult a doctor before playing

Vengeance
Feb 25, 2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah that happens to a buddy of mine at work. He always just played RPG or RTS games. While I always talked about FPS games. Well I finally talked him into trying "MOH" And he loves it. He ended up turning the mouse speed down. And now it doesnt make him sick. I can't play like that myself. I need my mouse speed set up high on most games.

Nagorak
Feb 25, 2005, 05:39 AM
The only times this happens to me is in games with low FPS. That might be your problem with HL2. Since the game responds sluggishly it can cause you to become nauseated because your viewpoint is not changing as quickly as you expect and you have to overcompensate.

You can also try disabling head bob and weapon bob as they can cause this problem too.

SubCog
Feb 25, 2005, 12:35 PM
It can happen if you're not getting smooth enough framerates. This is a problem in HL2 more than other games since, in other games (if your system isn't fast enough) your framerate slows down more smoothly, whereas its real sparatic in HL2. A good fix for this is to upgrade to a system that runs it silky smooth, or else turn down some of the settings. Although, you can't really turn down your processor settings. Oh yeah, it's more important to have a good mobo chipset than a fast processor.

It can also happen if the 3d engine isn't quite perfect. Anybody get sick playing Doom Legacy or, for me the old Duke Nukem 3d is the worst.

The other thing about HL2 that makes me sick consistently is that pontoon boat that you have to drive. I imagine though that I'd get similarly sick driving a real one though.

Ocelot
Feb 25, 2005, 01:41 PM
It can happen if you're not getting smooth enough framerates. This is a problem in HL2 more than other games since, in other games (if your system isn't fast enough) your framerate slows down more smoothly, whereas its real sparatic in HL2. A good fix for this is to upgrade to a system that runs it silky smooth, or else turn down some of the settings. Although, you can't really turn down your processor settings. Oh yeah, it's more important to have a good mobo chipset than a fast processor.

Well I have an Excellent system so I don't think Framerates are the problem:

1) SOLTEK "SL-K890Pro-939" VIA K8T890 Chipset Motherboard (939)
2) AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (939 Winchester) 2.0Ghz OC'd to 2.2Ghz
3) 1 GB of RAM DDR500 Dual Channel PQI @ 220Mhz
4) ATi Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI-EXPRESS
5) WD SATA 80GB HD 7200RPM HD+ Maxtor 40GB IDE 7200RPM HD
7) 17" Flat CRT Monitor @1024X768 85hz

Scott
Feb 25, 2005, 01:52 PM
Could it help to change your Field Of View? Mebbe shrink it down a tad?

Spyder
Feb 25, 2005, 02:13 PM
its called motion sickness. my fiancee gets it (dizzy/nausea) if she watches me play any type of FPS or game where the background spins around quickly. she gets the same feeling when traveling in the back seat of a vehicle.

Snarfy
Feb 25, 2005, 02:30 PM

Quick fix - go to cvs, (or your local pharmacy) ask for "dramamine" (mabye dramimine) sea/motion sickness pills. should help - and i think it's otc...google it for more info

MatroxFan
Feb 25, 2005, 02:50 PM
Please do not play any FPS of any type at 60 Hz on a CRT for longer than half an hour! Valve made a fatal mistake defaulting Half Life 2 to 60 Hz.

If you bump your frequency to 85 Hz, you can play all day.

Hamidxa
Feb 25, 2005, 03:29 PM

Motion sickness in a FPS is only exhibited by the weak. :evil:

lukebuz
Feb 25, 2005, 03:52 PM
I get it to! In all quake 3 based games and now in HL2...
I've found this helps the most out of anything!
TURN THE LIGHTS ON!
I still get a LITTLE stomach ache, but it's 10% of what it used to be. It helps your brain remember exactly what enviroment your in...

Ocelot
Feb 25, 2005, 04:54 PM
Please do not play any FPS of any type at 60 Hz on a CRT for longer than half an hour! Valve made a fatal mistake defaulting Half Life 2 to 60 Hz.

If you bump your frequency to 85 Hz, you can play all day.

I don't think there's an option to set the refresh rate to 85hz in HL2. If there is can you tell me how to change it?

Ocelot
Feb 25, 2005, 04:55 PM

Smartass! :rolleyes:

Cally
Feb 25, 2005, 05:37 PM

Have you tried changing camera perspectives from 3rd person to 1st? I too get nausea sometimes on some games. For me it is a closed in environment like a cave where a large area is moving by me as I pass through the area. Outside areas don't bother me at all. 3rd person views are what bothers me the most. Watching a character and the environment move at the same time is what triggers it for me. If I switch to 1 st person it goes away.

Cally
Feb 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

I have faced the enemy on the battlefield. I do not consider myself weak. But I do suffer from this problem.

Nagorak
Feb 26, 2005, 01:50 AM
It can also happen if the 3d engine isn't quite perfect. Anybody get sick playing Doom Legacy or, for me the old Duke Nukem 3d is the worst.

I'm not sure which engine it was, but one of the Doom engine mods did make me sick. I think it was the combination of extremely fast movement, with the head bobbing and stuff. For whatever reason I just couldn't handle it.

Chuck
Feb 26, 2005, 04:37 AM
Funny, I was going to post the same thing tommorow morning. Anyway, I started to play Half-Life 2 today with my new Dell machine, and after two hours straight, I started to feel real sick. My stomach felt queasy, my head was spinning, and I felt as though my blood was boiling inside me. For thirty minutes I thought I was going to die... luckily though, after 6-7 hrs straight of rest, I feel far better now. Heh, maybe FPS aint my thing afterall. :cry:

Uroboros
Feb 26, 2005, 05:04 AM
I found that when I first started playing Half Life 2 I would experience that same thing. Couldn't play more than an hour. Eventually though the feeling when away. Guess the brain is pretty good at adapting to situations which seem strange at first. (your eyes perceiving movement which your inner year doesn't)

The feeling might just go away on it's own after a few play sessions. Until then just limit your session to as long as you can handle it.

Good excuse to get the hell away from the computer and enjoy a good book perhaps. :)

Jawed
Feb 26, 2005, 05:38 AM
No, I don't get any motion sickness when playing FPS.

I love the feeling of vertigo I get playing Q3A when you do a high jump. But that vertigo only lasts for a short while after having not played it for ages.

On the other hand, I now get really bad car sickness. No matter where I sit in a car (not driving) I feel sick after about 1 hour. If it's really bad when I get out of the car all I can do is fall over and lie on the ground for a while.

Never was carsick as a kid. I reckon Q3A actually "gave" me car sickness, because it's only come on in the last 5 years. All the extreme movement in Quake seems to have changed my sensitivity to movement. Erm...

Luckily I hardly ever ride in a car, two or three times a year.

Jawed

MatroxFan
Feb 26, 2005, 08:46 PM
I don't think there's an option to set the refresh rate to 85hz in HL2. If there is can you tell me how to change it?

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

DLT
Feb 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
I get a strange burning sensation in the end of my nose when ever I play unreal 2 and Shogo-MAD to this day I have never been able to play past the first level in both games.

And I have played 80% of all fps since wolf 3d and these are the only games to do this.

Ristogod
Feb 26, 2005, 11:22 PM
Chances are you have a brain tumor.

Ocelot
Feb 26, 2005, 11:40 PM
Chances are you have a brain tumor.

Are you trying to be funny or are you just an a$$hole by nature? :rolleyes:

Ristogod
Feb 26, 2005, 11:45 PM
Are you trying to be funny or are you just an a$$hole by nature? :rolleyes:

Fine, be that way. But if you die from a brain tumor, don't come crying to me that I didn't warn you. :bleh:

Ocelot
Feb 26, 2005, 11:50 PM
Fine, be that way. But if you die from a brain tumor, don't come crying to me that I didn't warn you. :bleh:

ROFL!!!! :lol:

I was just jk dude. But ^ that was hilarious. :D

Hamidxa
Feb 27, 2005, 05:20 AM
ROFL!!!! :lol:

I was just jk dude. But ^ that was hilarious. :D

Here comes the ROFLcopter

http://www.bur.st/~squid/roflcopter.gif

Blackadder
Feb 27, 2005, 05:46 AM
Funny thing, I used to get very dizzy and sick back in the days when I first started PC gaming (Wolf 3d, Doom) but not anymore... even though teh graphix are more realistic.

B=E=N=C=H
Feb 27, 2005, 06:02 AM
It's only HALF LIFE 1&2 for me(specifically that boat mission). Even the devs who created the game were getting sick while playtesting it. If I can still find the link or interview about it I will post it here.

Camster
Feb 27, 2005, 09:04 AM
I have played them for years fine, but HL-2 makes me feel hella sick though. Especially that goddamned tiresome neverending bloody water hazard. Up and down and down and up..........Uh ohh I'll be right back. :D

mavman
Feb 27, 2005, 10:54 AM
Increase your monitor refresh rate.

when I play @ 60Hz, I get sick as well, but 75Hz is ok

KAC
Feb 27, 2005, 12:15 PM
My eyes bleed when I play games..

SigOrionis
Feb 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
Half Life 2 is the only FPS to cause me motion sickness. I think its caused by the engine in the game. When you are strafing around and get hung up on stuff you wouldnt expect to it causes this tiny stop start affect. This affect for me is very similiar to riding in a car with a driver who doesnt drive very smooth. They are hitting there brakes when you dont expect it and accelarating when you dont expect it.

For instance in one part there was this tiny board on the ground and as you would go over it your speed would be reduced by about a third. The problem with this is you dont really see the board because its so small and on the ground that you dont expect it to slow your speed. So when it does slow your speed your brain is not ready for it. Now take this affect and multiply it by a few hundred in 15 minutes and you get motion sick.

Most FPS games would allow you to just pass through these type of objects like a ghost. This probably is less realistic but does offer smoother gameplay.

I hope this makes sense.

Mahjik
Feb 27, 2005, 01:50 PM
If what everything that was suggested above doesn't help, you might have the equivelant of sea sickness. It happens when different parts of your brain are "arguing" whether you're moving or not. In the case of FPS sickness (not the one caused by bad FPSs, ho ho :nuts: ) your eyes are sending signals to your brain that you're in motion, while the parts in charge of balance and stuff like that like the right ear (I think :confused: ) are telling it that you're sitting still.
Same thing with sea sickness - eyes say you're not moving while you obviously are.

This is actually what is happening. There have been a lot of studies of this over the years. HL2 just does a better job than most games of creating an environment that is believable to your brain (not just graphics here, the entire game as a whole).

Camster
Feb 27, 2005, 03:35 PM
Increase your monitor refresh rate.

when I play @ 60Hz, I get sick as well, but 75Hz is ok

I run 120 Hz at 1024x768 so its not a low refresh rate for me. Only this game does this to me like this.

villain4hire
Feb 27, 2005, 05:49 PM
I dunno bout you guys but HL2 is the onlY GAME that friggin makes me dissy.. I played every game, Doom 3, farcry, painkiller, etc but ONLY this game makes me dissy after 30 min or so.. I mean what gives? I run the games on 120hz.. FKIN HL2.. I still haven't finished this game cause I get dissy playin it and then I just don't bother playin because who da hell likes to get dissy.

Qb2k5
Feb 27, 2005, 06:00 PM
The only games I get nausea from is as follows:

Pc:

HL2 before adjusting "FOV" to 90.
KingPin

Consoles:

N64: Duke Nukem

Xbox: True Crimes, PGR2 (when walking around in showrooms, and garages.)

If I play these games without listening to my body telling me to stop then I would literally vomit all over my stuff. This one time I over played True Crimes and I went on rushing to the toilet and hurling all over the bathroom. :cry:

Ambitious Loser
Feb 27, 2005, 06:11 PM
I got dizzyness from HL2 too.

Dacs
Mar 8, 2010, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the thread bump (I did made a search), but I'd like share my experience.

I've been playing FPS games for more than 10 years. My 1st FPS game was Half-Life and I finished the game for 80 hours, without issues. As a matter of fact, I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Then, I had my CRT system.

Fast forward 2 years ago, I played Half-Life 2, and it gave me nausea when playing for more than 1 hour.

And now, I just played Mirror's Edge and I can't play it for 30 minutes without the feeling of throwing up.

This time, I've used my LCD.

Any clues guys?

Chuck
Mar 8, 2010, 07:57 AM
Yes I actually posted a thread on the very same thing a few years back. Apparently has something to do with the fov, but I get seasick regardless of what I set it to. Same thing with Modern Warfare 2, I can't play the game for more than 15-minutes without getting sick to the stomach.

I say the more realistic the game's movements, the higher probability of sea-sickness if you easily get dizzy by "unpredictable movements" in real life?

KAC
Mar 8, 2010, 08:28 AM
Sorry for the thread bump (I did made a search), but I'd like share my experience.

I've been playing FPS games for more than 10 years. My 1st FPS game was Half-Life and I finished the game for 80 hours, without issues. As a matter of fact, I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Then, I had my CRT system.

Fast forward 2 years ago, I played Half-Life 2, and it gave me nausea when playing for more than 1 hour.

And now, I just played Mirror's Edge and I can't play it for 30 minutes without the feeling of throwing up.

This time, I've used my LCD.

Any clues guys?
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5492/grapho.jpg

Pirate Neilsouth
Mar 8, 2010, 08:53 AM
That was off topic :mad::bleh:

On Topic , i too get dizzy spells in certain games and the best cure is either try a better FOV if one is available or don't play it anymore. I can't play mass effect 2 because when you run it zooms forward which makes me feel ill , solution don't play it anymore. Bioshock made me feel nauseated , solution use the FOV fix no more dizzy!

It's nothing to do with maning up , it can be many factors in causing dizzy spells. The rate of your eye movement , your brain dealing with the responses from the eyes or what i suffer from " inner ear inbalance "..

Perky McGiggles
Mar 8, 2010, 08:58 AM
Only game to ever make me feel sick was Bioshock, but fixing the FOV helped that.

Could be you just need a higher FOV.

Destroy
Mar 8, 2010, 09:03 AM
I never use to but am now starting to (from old age?, heh) get disoriented feeling with many of the current game releases. It's mostly damn consolitus and the fact that the developers don't make the proper PC adjustments to the ported games. :mad: :mad: But sadly, even PC only games have stupid tight FOV, Stalker CoP being a prime example.

Right behind no FSAA, FOV is fast becoming my 2nd major pet peave.

CyanBlues
Mar 8, 2010, 10:34 AM
might want to change fov too, certain games does it to me like doom 3 etc others i have no problem with Unreal engine stuff etc

Mangler
Mar 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm immune to any ill effects of a low fov, but I don't like the zoomed in feeling that you will get from some console ports, it simply does not feel natural.

Mystik
Mar 8, 2010, 11:05 AM
my fiance had a lot of problems with games making her motion sick in general.

she recently broke her glasses and went out to get a new RX along with
contacts instead of glasses -- afterward, her motion sickness in games went
completely away.

where we used to be only be able to do light jaunts in games between 20-30
minutes before she starts to feel the slight onslaught of it coming around, we
only now stop because her eyes aren't used to long sessions of gaming and
start to get tired (after a few hours of gaming).

where nothing else worked, a small change in her RX made all the difference
even though she never thought she needed a new one.

WhAt3v3r
Mar 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
Happens to my brother in law. He can only play 3rd person shooters. He can play a first person shooter for like 5 minutes and that's it. He can't even watch me play. He said it makes him sick.

Dacs
Mar 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
I never use to but am now starting to (from old age?, heh) get disoriented feeling with many of the current game releases. It's mostly damn consolitus and the fact that the developers don't make the proper PC adjustments to the ported games. :mad: :mad: But sadly, even PC only games have stupid tight FOV, Stalker CoP being a prime example.

Right behind no FSAA, FOV is fast becoming my 2nd major pet peave.
I can play NFS Shift, GRID, DiRT2 just fine but not the FPS ones.

I'm just wondering that 10 years ago, I never had any issues with this. Does this comes with age? My eyes haven't been that stellar as compared when I was younger. Would that be a factor as well?

BababooeyHTJ
Mar 8, 2010, 05:28 PM
Only game to ever make me feel sick was Bioshock, but fixing the FOV helped that.

Could be you just need a higher FOV.

This HL2 does the same thing to me since you can't change the FOV without a hack. I have no problem in Ep 2 with the FOV set to 90. For some reason it only bothers me on my old 1920x1080 monitor (16x9) while I don't have much of an issue with my 1920x1200 monitor (16x10).

I can play NFS Shift, GRID, DiRT2 just fine but not the FPS ones.

I'm just wondering that 10 years ago, I never had any issues with this. Does this comes with age? My eyes haven't been that stellar as compared when I was younger. Would that be a factor as well?

Sounds like low FOV on your new 16x9 monitor. It happens to me too.

nomore
Mar 8, 2010, 05:51 PM

what you are talking about is 'Motion Sickness' in games.
Usually it is fixed when FOV is increased, but there are certain games regardless of FOV that you can get motion sickness because of the movement in the game.

I know many people don't read the manuals or skip the first few screens before the game menu, but a lot of games have a warning for health issues you can have.
If you continue to have the problem with other games, you might want to see a doctor. but first try increasing the FOV, make sure FPS stays above 30 fps most of the time(if it is above 60 fps it will be better) and try to apply some AA as well to reduce eye strain

McCrash
Mar 9, 2010, 04:04 PM

There was a spot in HL2 where it go to me too ... fighting aheli from the swamp buggy thingie.

Make sure your LCD monitor is set to at least 60Hz. Make sure you have other lighting on in the room where you play. Don't drink beer and eat jelly beans either. lol

demo
Mar 9, 2010, 10:36 PM
As others have said try adjusting the Field Of View.

Zetsumei
Mar 10, 2010, 05:17 AM
I get it for a short while often when I switch to a bigger monitor.
At this moment I'm used to simply not put the entire sight of the monitor in my eyes and rather focus on separate parts of the monitor. So nowadays I can game at a 60 fov at a .5 meter distance from a 42" tv without issues.

But generally smaller monitors, and higher fov help against the issue. But definitely trying to not put the entire picture of the screen into your eyes helps as well.

alitayyab
Mar 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
What helps me:
1. playing on an empty stomach
2. Keeping a healthy supply of [insert your favorite flavor here] candy
3. Changing the fov to something more traditional
4. turning off head bob completely

For me the worst games have been HL 2 and dead space.

bill dennison
Mar 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
it's playing HL2 without proper headgear

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant//ul/28349-Headcrabhat01.jpg

Dyre Straits
Mar 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
I've never personally experienced any problems with any games I've played. And, I have played HL2 through more than once. I've played other games that would very likely cause a problem if I were subject to it, e.g. the Descent series. In fact, my older son does have this problem and I ended up with his copies of Descent just because of this.

What has helped him is playing on his XBOX 360 in the living room sitting 12 feet or more from the large screen. He's now back on PC playing games e.g. Star Trek Online and the Trial of WoW. So far, no problems that he's mentioned.

Dacs
Mar 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
I increased the FOV and it helped a bit. Haven't played it long enough to really know if there's any difference however.

I do remember however that I played Half-Life on a 15" CRT. Maybe the increase in our monitors aggravated the situation.

I think I need to get my eyes checked. :lol:

nomore
Mar 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
I think I need to get my eyes checked. :lol:
that is actually not a bad idea. I think you need to get your eyes checked every two years or so. anyway

but like I said in my previous post, there are things you can do to make sure you don't get "motion sickness" while playing games.
Playing 60+fps, applying AA helps a lot. I can't play console games more than 2-3 hours without getting a headache or sometimes without getting sick, because of FOV, low frame rates, and jaggies.
but I can play PC games 5+ hours without a problem when I increase FOV, make sure I get 60+ fps and apply some AA.
and that is one of the main reasons why I get almost every multi-platform game for the PC including the console ports.

regardless of all the DRM crap and etc., PC gaming experience ultimately beats any other platform for me.