PDA

View Full Version : Drano, toxic fumes, inhalation, health risk?!

xenomorph
Jan 9, 2005, 07:23 PM
hi guys!

Basically I have been fighting this damn blockage in my shower drain for days... and this morning I finally gave up and said f**k it... so I emptied like half the container of these drano crystals down the drain.

About ten seconds later my nose was burning from these fumes, and the stuff was all boiling up so I ran out of the bathroom and opened all windows quickly.... I wasn't exposed to the fumes long, only one breath, or 3 seconds basically.

But do I have to fear long term health risks? Would I have to clean all the walls etc... to get rid of any potential residue the fumes have left behind. Also my bedroom is right next to the bathroom.... risk?

are my concerns legit, or am I being paranoid?

thanks guys!

ShaidarHaran
Jan 9, 2005, 07:26 PM
You will die in your sleep tonight. This stuff is worse than sarin gas.
Edited for spelling

nextbillgates
Jan 9, 2005, 07:32 PM
You have 24 hours.

xenomorph
Jan 9, 2005, 07:37 PM
come on guys give me a break....

This stuff is supposed to etch away organic matter, and is very harsh.
I couldn't walk into my bedroom or bathroom withoit my nose starting to burn. The whole thing lasted for about 30 minutes.

And of course the drain is still blocked.... boy is my landlord gonna be pissed off when I show him the plumbing bill.....

JAKJ
Jan 9, 2005, 07:37 PM
death will follow quickly,

:bleh:

For your drain blockage :D

Fuku2
Jan 9, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hmmm....I need some of that. The ***** that lived here before me clogged the sink up.

ShaidarHaran
Jan 9, 2005, 07:44 PM
Did you really expect a serious question? This is the OT forum after all...
I doubt you'll die or suffer any long-term effects from this. It's only toxic if swallowed or breathed for long periods of time. Caustic if applied to skin I imagine as well...

Twinke Masta
Jan 9, 2005, 07:50 PM
did you read the back, I'd say contact a doctor ASAP, I don't sniff drano, therefore i dono the consequences, but i'd see a doctor if i were you...

Murmillo
Jan 9, 2005, 08:08 PM
Buhaa haa haa.

You won't have any health problems other then your own paranoia.

COBRA90GT
Jan 9, 2005, 08:21 PM
Ventilation is your friend. :)

xenomorph
Jan 9, 2005, 08:30 PM
Ventilation is your friend. :)

I did have the ventilator on, and all windows and the front door was open aswell..... still I could smell/feel the fumes in my nose.

Well anyway I wiped the walls and floor of my bathroom thoroughly... next is the bedroom. I'm not gonna take any chances...

xenomorph
Jan 9, 2005, 09:11 PM
OK so I talked to this dude at the poisons information center...

He said if I don't have any symptoms I'll be fine.... but to be sure he suggested rinsing my nose with water, and because the fumes were quite strong I should wash down my walls incase some residue built up... great, thats going to be annoying but I'll do it anyway.

But luckily the substance (sodium hydoxide) doesn't cause long term "asbestos sytle" problems.... its "only" a corrosive...

f**k I aint touching this chemical **** anymore thats for sure....

shockwave
Jan 10, 2005, 12:56 AM
once i accidentally inhaled fumes from an amonia based cleaning product, and it stung for 10 minutes. thought i was going to die. and as you can see, i turned out juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine ;)

nothing to worry about, my good chap :D

NitroGL
Jan 10, 2005, 01:21 AM
hi guys!

Basically I have been fighting this damn blockage in my shower drain for days... and this morning I finally gave up and said f**k it... so I emptied like half the container of these drano crystals down the drain.

About ten seconds later my nose was burning from these fumes, and the stuff was all boiling up so I ran out of the bathroom and opened all windows quickly.... I wasn't exposed to the fumes long, only one breath, or 3 seconds basically.

But do I have to fear long term health risks? Would I have to clean all the walls etc... to get rid of any potential residue the fumes have left behind. Also my bedroom is right next to the bathroom.... risk?

thanks guys!

Nah, don't worry about it. It didn't hurt yourself more than a night of binge drinking and smoking would. ;)

xenomorph
Jan 10, 2005, 02:27 AM
thanks!

I just had the plumber here... jesus christ that was the most disgusting blob of gunk I have ever seen..... he had to dangle in a shaft (were the main duct was) with a "black hole" of 3 stories beneath him! :D

gave him 10 bucks tip though....

Now all I have to do is disinfect the bath tub and wash down the walls... oh wait, I said that already :D

wonder squirrel
Jan 10, 2005, 05:59 AM
I used the toilet plunger to pull out the clog in my sink :bleh:

Worked like a charm though :D

Djinn
Jan 10, 2005, 12:02 PM
And of course the drain is still blocked.... boy is my landlord gonna be pissed off when I show him the plumbing bill.....
Have you tried using a plunger? Many inexpensive plungers will work just fine on sinks, as long as you first plug up the "emergency drain holes" that some sinks have in the top of the basin. BTW; don't do this if you JUST poured Dran-O down the sink; you don't want that crap coming back up.

Irresponsible Dangerous Fun Time! Get a glass bottle, some aluminum foil, and some Dran-O crystals. Tear/cut the aluminum foil into a half-dozen thin strips, measuring roughly 1cm x 10cm. Loosely wad the aluminum foil into six small, non-compact balls.

Next, fill the glass bottle about 2/3 full with hot water. Carefully pour some of the Dran-O crystals into the bottle. Swirl the water around until they dissolve. Add some more crystals. Swirl until they dissolve. Repeat this until the water is saturated, and the crystals won't dissolve anymore. If the bottle dissolves and you wind up with a large amount of caustic fluid on your crotch, then the bottle was made of plastic, not glass, and you didn't listen to me.

Next, drop the loosely-crumpled aluminum foil strips into the bottle. The mixture will start to fizz, and emit gas. The gas is mostly flammable hydrogen, and partially other chemicals you really, really don't want to inhale. Now you can... I dunno... collect the hydrogen in an upturned garbage bag or something. You'll wind up with a large explosive object in your kitchen. Whee!

greyghost
Jan 10, 2005, 12:19 PM
Djinn, that's terrible. But interesting nonetheless.

You won't die from fumes from Draino. Jeepers, I'm a girl and it's expected that I'm going to inhale every chemical from bleach, ammonia, to gawd-knows-what is in things like Mr. Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles and yes, draino.

Not to mention my long-term exposure to mineral spirits and paint stripper.

GravY
Jan 10, 2005, 12:47 PM
Dont breath in the air!!!!

http://www.wildyams.com/blog/archives/arnold.JPG

soylent
Jan 10, 2005, 03:46 PM
If the bottle dissolves and you wind up with a large amount of caustic fluid on your crotch, then the bottle was made of plastic, not glass, and you didn't listen to me.

Sodium hydroxide doesn't do much to most types of plastic, though the heat of the reaction might start making the plastic soft.

On the other hand, if you use a glass bottle and the heat of the reaction causes the liquid to start boiling, and you care more about your carpet than your life and put a screw on cork on it and rush to get rid of it you might get bits of glass embedded in various body parts and searing hot concentrated sodium hydroxide(which is used to turn fat into soap and glycerine, to denaturate proteins from leftover skin and and bones from the meat industry into gelatine for use in sweets and other products. Though if you rush into the shower you'll be perfectly fine except for the burn wounds) all over the place...

(this has actually happened, there are people this dumb).

edit: If you get some concentrated sodium hydroxide on your fingers(not at all dangerous as long as you don't let it linger), the slippery feeling is some of the fatty acids on the skin being turned into the sodium salt of the fatty acid(AKA soap) and glycerine.

The E-number for sodium hydroxide for use in foods is E 524(but it's completely harmless if it's sufficiently diluted or neutralized by some acid).

To make lute fish, a non-fatty fish such as cod is soaked in strong alkali, often sodium hydroxide, and then the alkali is diluted repetedly by changing the solution for water repetedly many times. The fish is then boiled, what you end up with is a slimy disgusting mess which some people apparently enjoy eating for whatever reason.

When diluting sodium hydroxide from pure, solid form. Don't just pour a great big gob of it into a bunch of water. The reaction is exothermic and it may get hot enough to form the 'fumes' as in noted in the first post, the 'fumes' being a cloud of droplets containing disolved sodium hydroxide.

Zero Wing
Jan 10, 2005, 05:24 PM
Did you, or have you ever, put any other cleaning chemicals down the shower drain? Have you used any other chemicals to clean the shower walls, porcelain, glass doors, etc., that would have gone down the shower drain after rinsing and gotten mixed up with whatever your clog was, which then eventually exposed it to the Drano?

I'm thinking that perhaps at one time the shower was washed with Soft Scrub that had bleach in it, the bottle with the green cap, and then some of that was mixed up in the clog, and then the drain cleaner liberated it as gas. (?)

C.K.

AsDDff
Jan 10, 2005, 06:34 PM
Did you, or have you ever, put any other cleaning chemicals down the shower drain? Have you used any other chemicals to clean the shower walls, porcelain, glass doors, etc., that would have gone down the shower drain after rinsing and gotten mixed up with whatever your clog was, which then eventually exposed it to the Drano?

I'm thinking that perhaps at one time the shower was washed with Soft Scrub that had bleach in it, the bottle with the green cap, and then some of that was mixed up in the clog, and then the drain cleaner liberated it as gas. (?)

C.K.

I thinking he used a little ammonia too:bleh: j/k... Just dont inhale the fumes everyday youll be ok... just yesterday i inhaled a bunch of SO2 yesterday im still alive.....

P1x44r
Jan 10, 2005, 07:02 PM
You have 24 hours.

tick-tack...tick-tack

:lol:

P1x44r
Jan 10, 2005, 07:05 PM
By the way, I :heart: this thread! :drool:

cbsboyer
Jan 10, 2005, 07:28 PM
I made the mistake of using bleach and Fantastic (which apparently uses ammonia) in the same area. Cat peed on the basement floor, so I used bleach to disinfect the spot. Still stank, so I started to spray on some Fantastic cleaner to try to wash the smell out. Bad idea - it started to hiss, bubble and foam and gave off enough chlorine gas to start to burn my eyes and nose. Add to this the smell of burning cat urine and the basement was uninhabitable for half the day, even with the windows open and a fan blowing the fumes outside.

cbsboyer

ShaidarHaran
Jan 10, 2005, 07:47 PM
By the way, I :heart: this thread! :drool:

Could this be the next "Big Lips"?
oh noes, teh drano fumes!!!111oneoneone!!

design472003
Jan 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi, Guys
I came home on sat and walked into the batheroom and slid and fell. There were white chemical liquid all over the batheroom floor and inside the toilet.
I knew someone upstair above me poured something and it backup in my toilet caused over flow all over my batheroom. I was not thinking. I thought I mobbed the floor then would be ok. NO, smell would not go away today is tuesday. I opened the window, turned on fan, opened the door would not get rid of the smell. I called Drano company and was told there are still something inside the pipes which causes the smell would not go away and the drano liquid was eating up the pipe and it arouse into my toilet and over flow.
I talked to super and he talked the lady. That woman said she poured drano into the sink for a week and she only used the batheroom sink to wash herself and hair. Management sent a old man came to check my batheroom who said to me he has a bad nose which cannot smell anything. What good is he! Then I sent a few emails to management and no responds at all. I filed a complaint to Dep of health. I am having headaches, cannot breath, shortness of breath, eyes burn, heart pounding, throat itcy, chest pain and very weak. I cannot take shower, wash my face or brush my teeth and do my things in the toilet.
That smell stinks extremely bad even I wear a mask to the batheroom.

I have inhalation injury since I admitted to emergency room in a hospital last night. I cannot stay home. Because the symptoms I have, it affects me to work. God My life was peace until sat this happened and now the super and the management would not do anything but gave a air spray which I tried did not work. I tried cleaning the batheroom with everything and different air refresher, odor eater, lemons and sprays. That smell is still in the batheroom and spreading all over my apartment. I dont know what to do anymore. That chemical smell got me so weak and sick that I cannot think either.

Drano Liquid is toxic. No joke about it. This is the first time I exposed to this chemical and causing me health problems.

dreamwalker
Jan 26, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hi.

So... A/S/L?

wabbitslayer
Jan 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
Drano is for pussies.
You want a drain cleaned? Use this:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4283/imagerequest.jpg

Disclaimer: not for the faint of heart....OR the faint of smell....pee-ew!!!

DeathKnight
Jan 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Use main line cleaner.

Contains lye. Sniffy sniffy!

Sasquach
Jan 26, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi, Guys
I came home on sat and walked into the batheroom and slid and fell. There were white chemical liquid all over the batheroom floor and inside the toilet.
I knew someone upstair above me poured something and it backup in my toilet caused over flow all over my batheroom. I was not thinking. I thought I mobbed the floor then would be ok. NO, smell would not go away today is tuesday. I opened the window, turned on fan, opened the door would not get rid of the smell. I called Drano company and was told there are still something inside the pipes which causes the smell would not go away and the drano liquid was eating up the pipe and it arouse into my toilet and over flow.
I talked to super and he talked the lady. That woman said she poured drano into the sink for a week and she only used the batheroom sink to wash herself and hair. Management sent a old man came to check my batheroom who said to me he has a bad nose which cannot smell anything. What good is he! Then I sent a few emails to management and no responds at all. I filed a complaint to Dep of health. I am having headaches, cannot breath, shortness of breath, eyes burn, heart pounding, throat itcy, chest pain and very weak. I cannot take shower, wash my face or brush my teeth and do my things in the toilet.

I have inhalation injury since I admitted to emergency room in a hospital last night. I cannot stay home. Because the symptoms I have, it affects me to work. God My life was peace until sat this happened and now the super and the management would not do anything but gave a air spray which I tried did not work. I tried cleaning the batheroom with everything and different air refresher, odor eater, lemons and sprays. That smell is still in the batheroom and spreading all over my apartment. I dont know what to do anymore. That chemical smell got me so weak and sick that I cannot think either.

Drano Liquid is toxic. No joke about it. This is the first time I exposed to this chemical and causing me health problems.

drano must have impacted your brain function.
Grammar nazi would be all over this.

Hyrax
Jan 26, 2011, 05:29 PM
hi guys!

thanks guys!

you will be fine. just take proper precautions next time. you usually can't hurt yourself too much with a consumer product.

ASCI Blue
Jan 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi, Guys

RARGH You make me want to purify wherever you live!! Upstair? What the **** is this?! STAIRS!!! Multiple!!!! I've rarely seen a single stair before, and sure as **** not in an apartment complex!!

Batheroom? What the crap is batheroom? Can't spell bath it's four goddamn letters!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Djinn
Jan 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
... Batheroom? What the crap is batheroom? Can't spell bath it's four goddamn letters!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I kind of like "I mobbed the floor."

Sasquach
Jan 27, 2011, 03:13 AM
I wonder if drano smells like spambot?

design472003
Jan 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
I wonder if drano smells like spambot?

I know you guys dont believe me. Ever since I exposed to Drano product from someone upstair in my toilet, I have been very sick, I admitted to ER twice.
I have eye burns, throat burns, dry mouth, shortness of breath, heat beat so fast I thought I would die, now get into my organs. I have to see a lung, heart speciallist, eye doctor. I feel very weak. I cannot work, I canot stay at my own apartment. My entire apartment has that chemical air. It does smell like fish but sodium hydroxide is a very powerful chemical. Once you inhale it, it gets to your entire body and organs. I have very dry mouth and throat. This is chemical eats you up. I have been exposed to this chemical for a week.

Soylent, HUfu please talk to me about this sodium hydroxide you were discussing in your respond. That smell exactly is like what you describe.
Please contact me. I need your knowledge about this chemical.

I called fire department and they said just a fish smell and not gas. The super and management is not doing anything. I dont know what to do. Department of health would come this Thursday.

I just want to have my apartment back and back to my normal life. Ever since it happened on Jan 22 sat, my life has been turned upside down. I cannot fuction, I cannot work and no home.

cbsboyer
Jan 31, 2011, 09:19 AM
I would suggest looking under the sinks to make sure there are traps. That's where the pipe does a vertical 'J' or 'S' kind of shape. This traps a little water at the bottom of the curve and stops raw sewer gas from entering through the plumbing. You should not have any smell from your drains if the traps are installed correctly. If the traps aren't there, your landlord must fix this (or call a plumber to fix it). There shouldn't be any blockages in the pipes, either, and the landlord is also responsible for maintaining this (so long as you haven't flushed anything weird down the drain). The plumbing drain system must also be properly vented for these to work - if not, when water runs it can make a vacuum and suck the water out of any traps and can cause slow drainage.

I highly doubt that Drano caused your health issues as Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Hypochlorite (the two most common cleaning agents) are relatively innocuous so long as you don't get any on you. Sodium Hypochlorite (i.e. bleach) can react with ammonia to generate chlorine gas, but this has an immediate, short term effect, mostly on mucous membranes (eyes, nose, throat, lungs) and can cause chemical burns in high concentrations. Ammonia is generally present in the sewers as a product of normal breakdown of the sewer contents, and this also makes me question the traps on your drains.

Djinn
Jan 31, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure about Drano, but I know that certain household chemicals must never be used together under any circumstances. For example, bleach and ammonia create a reaction that generates toxic chlorine. A guy I knew in college learned this when he tried using bleach to clean up a puddle of ferret urine in his bathroom.

soylent
Jan 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
But do I have to fear long term health risks

No. Draino is mostly sodium hydroxide, a strong base. NaOH is very hygroscopic, so it will tend to accumulate moisture(becomming more dilute, and therefor less dangerous). It reacts with CO2 from air, forming sodium carbonate, a weaker base. It reacts with fats; forming soap.

Sodium hydroxide is not a cumulative poison of any kind; it is a short term hazzard. If your lungs, nose or upper air-ways are sore and getting worse and especially if your lungs are filling up with fluid, see a doctor immediately; otherwise, stop worrying.

Would I have to clean all the walls etc... to get rid of any potential residue the fumes have left behind.

No, not unless you intend to rub your unprotected eyeballs against the walls and ceiling; then it might still be concentrated enough to cause eye irritation. But even then it's unlikely to be so concentrated as to be dangerous(it would be diluted with tears pretty quick).

Sasquach
Jan 31, 2011, 01:26 PM
I know you guys dont believe me. Ever since I exposed to Drano product from someone upstair in my toilet, I have been very sick, I admitted to ER twice.
I have eye burns, throat burns, dry mouth, shortness of breath, heat beat so fast I thought I would die, now get into my organs. I have to see a lung, heart speciallist, eye doctor. I feel very weak. I cannot work, I canot stay at my own apartment. My entire apartment has that chemical air. It does smell like fish but sodium hydroxide is a very powerful chemical. Once you inhale it, it gets to your entire body and organs. I have very dry mouth and throat. This is chemical eats you up. I have been exposed to this chemical for a week.

Soylent, HUfu please talk to me about this sodium hydroxide you were discussing in your respond. That smell exactly is like what you describe.
Please contact me. I need your knowledge about this chemical.

I called fire department and they said just a fish smell and not gas. The super and management is not doing anything. I dont know what to do. Department of health would come this Thursday.

I just want to have my apartment back and back to my normal life. Ever since it happened on Jan 22 sat, my life has been turned upside down. I cannot fuction, I cannot work and no home.

omg its NOT a spambot :eek:

soylent
Jan 31, 2011, 01:34 PM
For example, bleach and ammonia create a reaction that generates toxic chlorine.

No. To get chlorine from hypochlorite you need to mix it with an acid(such as vinegar, tartaric acid, citric acid, which is in some cleaners; e.g. the stuff you use to remove lime-scale from a coffee machine).

The reason you shouldn't mix bleach and ammonia containing products is that you get chloramines, which are toxic in fairly small doses(chloramine is used in concentrations of up to ~3 ppm to disinfect drinking water in some areas)

[/QUOTE]A guy I knew in college learned this when he tried using bleach to clean up a puddle of ferret urine in his bathroom.[/QUOTE]

Urine is fairly acidic and could evolve some chlorine. Under more acidic conditions further chlorination of ammonia occurs and you get less monochloramine and more dichloramine and even some nitrogen trichloride.

soylent
Jan 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
Damn it, who bumped this thread from 2005(that I've apparently already responded to, 6 years ago).

Perky McGiggles
Jan 31, 2011, 01:53 PM
The best part is when the OP called the Poison Control center. :lol:

Draino is pretty tame.

Also, nice bot bump.

soylent
Jan 31, 2011, 02:01 PM
That smell is still in the batheroom and spreading all over my apartment. I dont know what to do anymore. That chemical smell got me so weak and sick that I cannot think either.

Well, sodium hydroxide should not smell anything(unless burning in your nose, lungs and throat counts as a smell).

Drano contains a small amount of aluminium shards. The aluminium reacts with hydroxide ions and evolves heat and some hydrogen gas. Free hydrogen gas in a confined space is a dumb idea, so there is some sodium nitrate in there to get rid of it; nitrate reacts with hydrogen gas, forming ammonia and water. If anything, drano mixed with water has just a faint smell of ammonia.

If your apartment is smelling like rotten eggs, then the smell is comming from hydrogen sulfide originating in the clog that was disolved by the drano.

Hydrogen sulfide is very toxic, appart from just smelling foul. I've never heard of enough hydrogen sulfide being released from a clog to cause any kind of health problems though.

This is the first time I exposed to this chemical and causing me health problems.

Unless you have chemical burns, I don't see how it could be the drano itself.

Sasquach
Jan 31, 2011, 02:02 PM
Damn it, who bumped this thread from 2005(that I've apparently already responded to, 6 years ago).

dammit i didnt notice that....

maybe it is spambot after all?

design472003
Jan 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
dammit i didnt notice that....

maybe it is spambot after all?

The fire man, the police came and they all said it smells like fish.

I know it is chemical. If it is not sodium Hydroxide, what kind of chemical is it.

At first, It smells like fish. I thought was ok but when I got sick with headaches, eye burns, dry mouth, shortness of breath, heart rate increase, dizzle, weakness and admitted to ER twice. Then I realized it was not just fish smell. It is chemical. I tried odor eater, air spray, air refresher but nothing works.

Could it be burn the pipes inside the wall or mixed in something when drano comes down the toilet pipe in my batheroom.

Otherwise what is this chemical smell.

I have to wait until this Thursday when the Department of health would come but I need to stay at Mcdonald all day to wait for this woman who called me.

That chemical is in the air in my apartment. Once you inhale it, you would get sick afterward.

Why would that fish smel would not go away unless some pipes inside the batheroom wall has problems? Would you think

I have to see specialist for my lung and heart.

Thanks guys.

Perky McGiggles
Jan 31, 2011, 02:24 PM
No, thank you.

wabbitslayer
Jan 31, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have to wait until this Thursday when the Department of health would come but I need to stay at Mcdonald all day to wait for this woman who called me.

I have to see specialist for my lung and heart.

Well, the good news is that from looking at the OP's last post date, you apparently have about 3 more years before it kills you. :up:

The bad news is that staying at McDonald's all day will kill you long before then. :down:

design472003
Jan 31, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well, the good news is that from looking at the OP's last post date, you apparently have about 3 more years before it kills you. :up:

The bad news is that staying at McDonald's all day will kill you long before then. :down:

That chemical whatever it is toxic in my apartment which got me very sick but I dont know what it is.

If it is not drano, could she upstair neighbour mixed with something else and poured down her toilet and got to my toilet.

Noone belives me. I am getting sick from this. There is totally chemical air in my entire apartment.

I have to wait for department of health.

Anyone is good in chemitry, what kind of toxic chemical would cause lung and shortness of breath, eye and throat burn, wheezing, light headed, there has to be some kind of chemical if it is not Drano. What would it be???

Who has a chmistry degree? give me some infor? I know there is chemical in my apartment, toxic but dont know what it is??????????

No help from the super or management agent.
I have to take it on my own hand.

How the hell I opened the windows and the fan a week now. I could not get rid of it??????????????
YOu think something trapped inside the pipe, inside the wall. what the hell? I have to buy a repiratory and cover myself with stroller plasic to go into my apartment to get a little of my personal things. this is the only way I could protect myself . I just like the movie but no joke. guys

I am very sick, I need to see heart specialist.

bye, thanks for all your help

soylent
Jan 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
Fish smell? Odd.

Anyone is good in chemitry, what kind of toxic chemical would cause lung and shortness of breath, eye and throat burn, wheezing, light headed, there has to be some kind of chemical if it is not Drano.

Have you ruled out harmless panic attacks? They run in my family, so I knew before hand what it was and didn't get freaked out, just stayed calm and it went away in a minute or two. They can be triggered from mundane things like too little sleep and too much coffee, getting worked up or stressed out about something.

A panic attack makes me feel dizzy, tingly, light-headed and have heart palpitations. A panic attack can also include burning sensations, sensations of shortness of breath, tunnel vision, hot-flashes and chest pain. People who have a panic attack and don't know what it is often mistake it for something serious, like a heart attack.

design472003
Feb 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Ever since I smell this chemical odor, I got very sick. It burns my eyes, my throat, heachaches, shortness of breath, heart beat fast, weakness. I am not imagine

I was fine before sat 1/22 drano from upstair neighbour.

Wait till the department of health come this thursday.

plasmafish
Feb 1, 2011, 09:07 AM
Ever since I smell this chemical odor, I got very sick. It burns my eyes, my throat, heachaches, shortness of breath, heart beat fast, weakness. I am not imagine

So..... I'm guessing you got beef with drano.

cbsboyer
Feb 1, 2011, 10:31 AM

What you are describing is definitely not something that Drano would cause. The only thing I've heard of causing long term symptoms on casual exposure would be industrial solvents, which the old lady upstairs is unlikely to have access to.

Get the drains checked to make sure the traps and venting is correctly done.

design472003
Feb 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am 100% sure that powerful chemical is making me very sick and would cause me death if I stay at my apartment much longer but I dont know what it is. That chemical is all over the air in my apartment. Maybe some kind of toxic gas but it is not regular gas so the fireman could not tell. Why is it smell like fish???? dont know.

I dont think the old lady upstair has industrial solvents unless someone else used it for her. Because the super was telling me one thing and then when the guy from management came, the super was telling him different thing.
I dont trust this super. He might be making a mistake and try to blame the old lady upstair. She admitted to the super she poured Drano but that's what the super told me. I tried to talk to lady but she would not open the door for me.

I have to wait for the department of health. If it is chemical harzous, everyone who went into my apartment would get sick.

Isn't it only licensed plumber has industrial solvents?? would the super has it??

What is industrial solvents, does people just buy it??????

Perky McGiggles
Feb 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
This is a clever bot.

zebra 204
Feb 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
I think he should get his ass to the hospital, imho.

After he realizes he doesn't have the ass cancer he then can figure out the conspiracy of who is trying to kill him.

Lunar Wolf
Feb 2, 2011, 06:17 AM
Someone say sodium hydroxide wasn't harmful? Its used by hitmen to dissolve human bodies within hours it can reduce a full sized adult to soup.

http://www.slate.com/id/2238086/

design472003
Feb 8, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hi, guys

So as of last night I checked my apartment, the fish smell is still there but seems lesser.
Department of health woman could not figure out what is it.

I guess this is the third week now, leaving my windows open and door open the past weekend and I went outside for few hours and came back. I am leaving all windows open when I am not there since I cannot stay at my own apartment.

I just hope the smell, the toxic air would be completely gone so I can come back home and get back to my normal life since no help from super, management or even department of health.

I feel a little better as long as I am away from my apartment. However, damage to my health has been done. Now I have to see lung specialist, heart specialist and eye doctor ever since drano instant.

Hope next time I would give you good news.

I am just lucky that I am still alive. That chemical is really strong. I feel it is some kind of toxic chemical gas which spreads out my entire apartment from the toilet into the whole batheroom floor before I walked in when the upstair neigbour poured down drano. Noone believes me.

OK guys, be happy and healthy, stay away from drano. I never use drano, I never have any problems with my toilet.

cbsboyer
Feb 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
Someone say sodium hydroxide wasn't harmful? Its used by hitmen to dissolve human bodies within hours it can reduce a full sized adult to soup.

http://www.slate.com/id/2238086/

Lye can be used as a very effective drain cleaner - 2 cups of cold water, about 2 tbsp of lye added slowly to the water and allowed to completely dissolve. At this point, the water will now be hot, maybe even steaming. Pour into the drain, wait about 30-45 minutes, pour a kettle full of boiling water down the drain and presto - clear drain. USE CHEMICAL GLOVES AND GOGGLES when using this stuff boys and girls, it *will* burn you badly if you get it on you. Use vinegar to neutralize if you get it on your skin - see Fight Club for more details on chemical burns from lye.

As I've mentioned *repeatedly* in this thread - funny smells from toilets or drains? CALL A FREAKING PLUMBER to check the traps and vents. Raw sewer gas in your house or apartment can make you very sick. Department of health? They don't know jack about plumbing. Fire department? They don't know jack about plumbing. Superintendent? They should know something about plumbing, but don't count on it.

AGibbon
Feb 8, 2011, 05:43 PM
Why don't you guys try using a friggin snake first? Worked for me every time in my life, which is many clogs through the years. Never had to resort to chemicals.