Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
closecut

closecut is still being judged by the masses

Default Radeon HD4350 tv-out problem

I have a Powercolor HD4350 card, and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the darn tv-out to work.

At the back of the card there's a contact that looks like an s-video female contact. I wasn't sure it was s-video though, so I first tested with the adapter (apparently s-video -> composite) that came in the package.

I connected a composite rca-cable between the cards adapter and the tv, and started the control center (i've done this both in linux and vista, none work). "Detect" detected the tv, but wouldn't let me enable it. I click on the detected, inactive tv-image in the control center, and answer "yes" when asked if i want to enable it. What happens is the TV flickers, and then nothing. The icon/image of the tv shows as enabled for 2-3 seconds and then reverts to disabled.

I tried connecting a regular s-video cable between the card and the tv as well, and get the same behavior.

As I mentioned, I've tried this in both Vista and Linux (openSUSE 11 and 11.1) and the behavior is the same although the road there is a slight bit different. I installed Vista mainly to see if it was a linux-driver issue, the card itself - or possibly me being a moron on both platforms.

The manufacturers product number is "AX4350 256MD2-S" (I _think_ the 'S' implies an s-video connection instead of the HDMI connection that is on the 'H'-line of cards), and it's a PCI-E x16 card on a gigabyte 73PVM-S2H motherboard with a Pentium DC e2180.

Any help or suggestions for any of the two platforms is greatly appreciated. I might actually consider naming my firstborn after you.. Or wait. She already has a name. Ok, secondborn then
closecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

You are probably using the wrong DVI port for your monitor as one Ramdac controls either a DVI port and the S-video port not both at once and the other controls just a DVI port.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 05:41 PM   #3
closecut

Thank you for answering,

There are 3 ports on the back of the card, 1 x 15 pin d-sub, 1 x dvi and 1 x s-video. My monitor is an old crt-screen which uses only the d-sub.

Should I try getting hold of a dvi -> d-sub adapter to see if it makes a difference?

I noticed the s-video connector was a 7-pin model, so I know it won't work with a regular s-video cable.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
closecut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
You are probably using the wrong DVI port for your monitor as one Ramdac controls either a DVI port and the S-video port not both at once and the other controls just a DVI port.
I bow my head to your wisdom,

I connected the monitor through a dvi->vga adapter on the dvi-port, and boom - tv-out worked immediately

Now I just need to find out how to output video separately to the TV, or possibly have the cloned output from the monitor down-scaled on the TV (monitor is set at 1600x1200 whereas the TV can handle 1024x768 max). Any ideas, tips or hints, anyone?

I think ATI had something called Theater Mode in XP atleast, is there something similar to that in their linux drivers?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
gewone

gewone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by closecut View Post
...or possibly have the cloned output from the monitor down-scaled on the TV (monitor is set at 1600x1200 whereas the TV can handle 1024x768 max)...
Classic wish, I'd say! Please fill me in when you have this one figured, and I'll be more than happy! =D
gewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 04:35 PM   #6
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Cannot do that for clone mode.